Rose question

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Carri said:
southern28chick said:
I couldn't do that. I'm anti-kill. I know it sounds crazy to some folks but I don't kill anything on purpose...even bugs. :bee
You know... I thought about that after I posted... I think you've mentioned that before.
Maybe there is a natural predator?
There is. Chickens.

Handpick the caterpillars (or knock 'em off onto a sheet laid on the ground), put 'em in a bowl, feed 'em to the chickens. The chickens will be delirious with (brief) happiness, and you will be feeding them Naturally And Organically, with nothing more on your conscience than the natural-born proper diet of chickens ;)

Pat
Even still, I can't kill them even if the chickens do the killing. I know I'm crazy, you don't even have to say it. :p I would rather let them have the rose bush than kill them.

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You'd hate it around my house... I'm a professional fly killer... and I scream for my DH when I see a spider. If he doesn't come fast enough, I unload half a can of whatever I can find on it. :eek:

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Carri said:
You'd hate it around my house... I'm a professional fly killer... and I scream for my DH when I see a spider. If he doesn't come fast enough, I unload half a can of whatever I can find on it. :eek:
You'd hate it around my house. This is Ms. Banana. She was out by my water hose all last summer and her babies hatched out this week. I love all creatures big and small. I hope to see her babies around this summer.

DSC00096.jpg

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
be sure and get the parsley that has the thick, crinkley looking leaves. they love that. but you might want to get some marigolds too. parsley seeds may not grow big enough fast enough to help this year. also a vine that certain types of caterpillars love is the passionflower vine. although beautiful it can get a little out of control so i would put it in a pot by a trellis or something if you get one of those. i have a moth caterpillar that eats my azaleas...

it might be beneficial to identify the specific caterpillar that is giving you a problem. some species have plant preferences.

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beefy said:
it might be beneficial to identify the specific caterpillar that is giving you a problem. some species have plant preferences.
Here they are...millions of these. Eastern Tent Caterpillars. We have a tree in out backyard that they make one of those tent things on every year in the same spot. You can see tiny caterpillars in it.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef423.asp

Latest posts