Rosemary & bayleaf pics & updates

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello!
Some of my favorites herbs are rosemary, and bayleaf!
Would love to hear some of your thoughts about them!

~orp

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up around California bay trees. I also like licorice flavors. Mom would make beef soup and in would go bay leaves -- not from the bay tree just beyond the fenceline of the cattle pasture :), but bay leaves from the store.

If there were bay trees, there was pine ... and cedar and Douglas fir ... I thought I might be somehow related to a Douglas fir when I was a kid. Yes, my grandfather's name was Douglas, although he always went be Jack ;).

How Rosemary is related to things like basil and mint, hardly makes sense to me. It smells like a pine tree and looks like a fir. It's an evergreen!

I like it! If we didn't have beef soup or beef stew on the farm, we had a roast in the oven. I like beef roast with sprigs of my own rosemary.

Steve :)

TheCuteOrpington

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I grew up around California bay trees. I also like licorice flavors. Mom would make beef soup and in would go bay leaves -- not from the bay tree just beyond the fenceline of the cattle pasture :), but bay leaves from the store.

If there were bay trees, there was pine ... and cedar and Douglas fir ... I thought I might be somehow related to a Douglas fir when I was a kid. Yes, my grandfather's name was Douglas, although he always went be Jack ;).

How Rosemary is related to things like basil and mint, hardly makes sense to me. It smells like a pine tree and looks like a fir. It's an evergreen!

I like it! If we didn't have beef soup or beef stew on the farm, we had a roast in the oven. I like beef roast with sprigs of my own rosemary.

Steve :)

We used to make roast chicken with rosemary and bay leaf for extra flavor.
It tasted great!
Great to hear from you!

Sincerely
~ Mel

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mac and cheese with bay leaf? I live in a culinary desert.
I bought some "herbes de Provence" while on vacation, but I haven't had the nerve to use it yet. It has lavender in it.
To my way of thinking, lavender has been to smell, not eat. I'm working on it.

Latest posts