Rosemary

Robinegg

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've never managed to winter over my rosemary outside so this year I brought mine in and have had it sitting on the kitchen counter by a window , I've enjoyed it all winter, and now that it's spring I'm ready to put it back outside , but I know I'll miss it sitting here by my sink, so I'm thinking I need another one.

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I try to keep one plant in a small pot in my kitchen window and have it all winter long. Last year I forgot to keep it trimmed and it became too large to bring in. I had to go get another one for the kitchen window. I keep rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil and oregano in small pots in my kitchen window year round so I always have some fresh for winter.

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I heard that if you plant it in the front of the house, it means the woman "wears the pants" in the family. ;)
Really?! I have 2 good friends with ENORMOUS rosemary bushes in front of their house. I'll have to share this tidbit of knowledge with them. They will get a kick out of it I'm sure. I'll be paying them a visit as soon as I finish replacing the boxwoods out front with rosemary. :lol:

countrygirl10

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi I live in Arkansas and I buy great looking rosemary every year from Lowes and try as I may I can never get it to winter over and come back. I even thought of just putting it in a pot and bringing it in for the winter but it does not do as well. What can I do do plant it and get it to come back or just stay good through the winter?:D

:dance

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're too funny, Texas Fluffy Feet!!!! :lol:

countrygirl10 -- I think your area gets too cold to overwinter rosemary outdoors. It sounds like you don't have a sunny enough window to keep it inside either . . . if you are determined to try to keep some rosemary alive, I would try setting up some indoor lighting. Or, for that matter, maybe it would be worthwhile to just start new plants from seeds or cuttings every year. Good luck, whatever you decide!

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I agree with Drakemaiden, I keep my rosemary plant in a south window in the kitchen. My dh put a shelf up over the sink for me to keep herbs on through the winter. I hope you can find a window or please invest in a grow light and you will be thrilled to have fresh herbs all year. :D

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually, you can buy it at any store that has a garden center. They are very easy to grow and are very hardy. If you buy your rosemary in a small pot, immetiatly trans plant it into your garden or a larger pot. Then from there, the plant will be growing very fast.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here in Southern California, Rosemary grows like a weed.

I planted one 4" plant last Spring, and now it is a 4 foot by 4 foot dense woody shrub!

There is a prostrate form of Rosemary available as well, some people use it here almost like a ground cover.

Rosemary likes little water, heat and poor soil...perfect for our Southern California climate!

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got the Lowe's Rosemary deal as well. They had big pots of it for just $3.00 (clearance)

Latest posts