roses in zone 7

gypsyfarm123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! I've got to save this page, thanks for all the great info,especially 'Thistle',you sure know your rose's! I wish I researched them when I first started buying them. When I was building my house I would pick up a few each week,then it turned into I HAD to HAVE every color they had (that's how I ended up with so many:) I just checked this morning and they DO look like they are on grafted root stock... I may run down to the place I got them and ask 'pop's' if he know's any different. Oh well, at least I get to start over with all the new varieties next spring! lol thanks to all for the great info! <Craig

gypsyfarm123

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! I've got to save this page, thanks for all the great info,especially 'Thistle',you sure know your rose's! I wish I researched them when I first started buying them. When I was building my house I would pick up a few each week,then it turned into I HAD to HAVE every color they had (that's how I ended up with so many:) I just checked this morning and they DO look like they are on grafted root stock... I may run down to the place I got them and ask 'pop's' if he know's any different. Oh well, at least I get to start over with all the new varieties next spring! lol thanks to all for the great info! <Craig

OurGardenGate.com

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
I was just listening to our local gardening guru on the noon news today. She says you never need to prune climbing roses, and all others should be pruned 18 inches from the ground. I would say you are lucky yours came back- from that haircut!! I would let them go and trim only winter kill, in the spring...The black spots on the leaves if a kind of fungus- but it is normal and won't harm the plant- those leaves fall off, and the new leaves in the spring will be fresh and green. Happy Gardening!!
I see that you never need to prune climbing roses but I wonder what will happen when you do.
I planted a New Dawn climbing rose 2 yrs. ago and I underestimated how vigorous it would be, so I planted it in totally the wrong place. I'm going to have to move it, and even though it is only 2 years old, it has a lot of very thick and healthy canes. There is no way of moving it without pruning it back.
Anyone had any experience with moving a climbing rose that can advise me?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome Garden Gate!
Although you may never have to prune a climber, it certainly is not going to hurt it if you do.
Go ahead and cut it back to make it manageable to move. You didn't mention if you were moving it now or in the spring, and depending on where you are, spring would probably be the better option.
Roses are very tough (have I said that already? ) and quite forgiving.

This is just my opinion, but I think all roses benefit from pruning. It's good management to go through the canes and cut the oldest ones out if the base begins to get congested. That prompts the rose to put out new canes, so you keep the vigor of the shrub up.

OurGardenGate.com

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Thistlebloom, and thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I'm in zone 6 and we expected a freeze last night, although I'm not sure it happened. It will warm up again and just stay chilly for a few weeks, I'll bet, till the serious cold gets here.
I was hoping to move it now so that it could be established in the spring, but I've torn as to whether to wait or not. I really don't want to lose it or damage it.
So you think I should probably wait it out?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
OurGardenGate.com said:
Hi Thistlebloom, and thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I'm in zone 6 and we expected a freeze last night, although I'm not sure it happened. It will warm up again and just stay chilly for a few weeks, I'll bet, till the serious cold gets here.
I was hoping to move it now so that it could be established in the spring, but I've torn as to whether to wait or not. I really don't want to lose it or damage it.
So you think I should probably wait it out?
Sure, if it's not in your way where it is. You just don't want to be cutting the canes shorter before it's dormant because that will stimulate it to put out new growth.

How cold do you get in a typical (whatever that is anymore! ) winter?

It will establish easily in the spring if you move it then. Roses don't have huge root systems, and they recover well from transplanting.

OurGardenGate.com

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It can get down to -10 or worse but most of the time the low is 0-15.
My problem is that I'm always in a hurry and want things done now. I will wait to move the New Dawn though, and thanks for your advice.

Latest posts