Rotation, companion and succession planting plan

lisasGarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Steve-
I will save your post and it will be a guide for me to follow next year. I guess all I can really do this year now that we are settled in our new house is to plant garlic. Not to sound, disappointed, I love garlic- just wish we had moved earlier in the growing season.

You have an amazing set up. I hope I can get that organized at some point. I really appreciate your advice. I cant believe how wonderful this site is.

Thanks so much.

Lisa

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Montana, Lisa?

Are you from up here in my neck of the woods?

"Obsessed" may be able to give you advice as a Montana gardener taking up a trowel in the Deep South ;).

S'

lisasGarden

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yep- I am from Montana, and my husband is from Idaho (Boise). Once he is done in with his commitment in the Army our dream is to start an estate winery and Vineyard near Boise. Hopefully it wont be too long away, there are so many vineyards opening up now.

I have never grown anything in the south- so this could be interesting. Pretty much everything from what I have been reading (lettuce, broccoli, Brussel sprouts) will have to be Spring or fall. I guess its too hot otherwise. I will have to talk to "Obsessed." Its always good to hear from fellow montanans/idahoans.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you look at a map, you will see that Idaho is a large state but real narrow in the Panhandle.

I can leave my garden near the ID/WA border, cross 2 mountain passes, and be in Montana in about 90 minutes.

Of course, Montana isn't small . . . :rolleyes: . . . at double the size of New England.

Boise is . . . 450 miles away!

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awesome! Where in Montana are you from? I lived for two years in Bozeman while I was getting my master's. Any way so from the thread you will be planting in Georgia?

As for planting I am in 8A and have generally mild winters. I had my cherry tomato plants from last year that I had to pull up in Dec. Not because it was dead or dying but because I wanted it gone. My peppers and eggplants will also go long into the fall. Right now I have collards, broccoli, peas, radishes, peppers, eggplants, carrots, beets, toy choi in the garden. All but the peppers and eggplants will die over the winter and with some protection the broccoli might make it to next spring.

We can get a spring planting of cool weather crops we just have to be smart about it. Like for early spring broccoli I started the seeds in Early December. I also had lots of lettuce this spring by just sprinkling in early Feb and then when nature told the seed to sprout it did. Late Decemberis also when I start planting my Tomatoes. That way with some early care and some wall o water I can get early tomatoes. The peppers I will start in Late January but not plant them until mid April that way it can be good and hot and I will have finally eaten the lettuce by then.

Rotation I am not so good at. I try but I have a small garden and am extremely haphazard in my planting. As for companion planting all the same rules apply for the south. And then succession planting... Depending on where you are there will be nothing to really harvest in the dead of summer. Not a squash bloom, pepper or tomatoe. In fact without care most may die. So once you main summer crop is done (when the beans stop producing, cukes stop flowering, etc) you can pull those and get in some soy beans or summer squash/pumkins/watermelons. You can also get an early start of second warm season crops like more tomatoes/beans/cukes/peppers.

Ok let me know what I didn't make sense of and where you want to go next!

Latest posts