Rototiller

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a rototiller. I have approx. 10,000 sq. ft of garden and need something to help with the tilling. I am thinking about getting a Husqvarna CRT. Either that or the Troy-Bilt Bronco. What do you guys think???

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both good tillers. I have MTD rear tine (also Cub Cadet rear tine who is owned by MTD) that I like very well. Last Troy-bilt I used, I was unimpressed. Heavy built but I like the option of blades going backward and forward.

Again, think it's a win-win. I'd buy based on best service dealership.

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had a troy 7 horse, and a troy cultivator. Loved them both. We downsized and sold the big troy-which we had bought a snow plow and chipper shredder for..,miss that!. I used the mimi cultivator for 12 years, and pretty much wore it out..but I worked it in harder
than it was made for, I would say I got the mileage from it!!
The big troy pulverised the dirt till you could literally sink in it!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The forward movement of the tines makes for greater comfort for the gardener. With wheels and tines moving in the same direction, you can usually just walk beside the tiller and guide it with one hand.

If you want to do some serious tilling, having the tines turn in the opposite direction to the wheels will really, git 'er dun. However, it is more work for the tiller, forward movement is less stable and walking directly behind the tiller is usually necessary.

I have an 850 tiller from Sears. Forward/reverse tine options are helpful. My gardens are essentially level but any surface irregularities (and rocks :/) cause me some trouble when I've got the tines in reverse. Shifting to forward makes things easier but I will go over that ground multiple times to get it cultivated as well as I could have done with the tines in reverse.

Trade-offs

Steve

rmonge00

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...

Anyone have any experience with the Husqvarna?

Latest posts