Royal Empress Trees - Good Choice?

Che Joubert

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in Berkeley Ca, and grew up in FL before moving here so am very familiar with the issues there of non-native take overs such as the water hyacinth and kudzu, and now I hear about this Melaleuca tree problem in south Florida that sounds awful. It seems as though many plants and trees can be beautiful and useful in one locale, while being a nuisance in another. I'm still wondering if the Empress would be such a problem in Chicago as it is in the eastern states.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an Empress Tree of China, as it was labeled when I purchased it about 20 years ago. For many years the tree seemed to die back to the ground leaving last year's stem (trunk?) hollow and dry. After many years like this, the tree seemed to acclimatize and is currently growing well. Right now, the tree is bare - it lost all its leaves at the same time after our first frost - except for what I suppose are seed pods. Remember, it's been growing in the same spot for a good 20 years or so and I do have one root that is high enough for the mower blade to hit it. I usually raise the mower and glide right over it. Since I mow regularly around it, there has been no invasion of seedlings at all.

There is a row of these trees in a nearby city. There, the trees are purposefully cut to the ground every fall. Those trees with their large leaves give a bushy, tropical look to the yard that is pleasing. I let mine grow, although I do cut out suckers. It is finally about 20+ feet tall and doing well. I suspect a really cold winter may cause die back, but it hasn't happened in the last 5-6 years here. I have it planted in a row along with several other trees I purchased at the same time -- a sycamore, a tulip tree, and a fringe tree. the golden chain tree didn't survive in my yard. All of these trees are supposed to be hardy to zone 5 and I usually consider myself zone 4-5. If I were to get just one of these trees it would probably be the tulip tree. It has a trim, beautiful vase shape and lovely tulip-like flowers of green/yellow/orange in the spring.

Che Joubert

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Smart Red - it was very helpful. I was wondering if you could estimate how tall the trees that grow in a row in that other town are. Are they taller than yours? We're looking for height to hide a telephone pole at the back of the property, and I'm beginning to wonder if the Empress would grow fast enough anyway in this Chicago climate to hide much within a reasonable time. If cutting them back makes them taller we might try that, but then I'm wondering if they'd be more of an environmental problem. Anyway I'm curious to know the difference in the row of trees vs your tree in height. Thanks again.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Che, you might try contacting your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government but also online, and chat with them about trees that would do well in your area for what you want to do. The agent probably wont know himself or herself but they should have a contact in your state land-grant university that would know or maybe a local Mastergardener.

As you obviously know, we all have our local conditions. Not all extension agents are good, but that agent should be able to line you up with an expert that knows your area.

Che Joubert

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks - I was going to contact someone but hadn't thought of a county extension agent. Thing is I wanted to get a bit of user feedback first because of all the various warning associated with the Empress. I really appreciate hearing from someone in this area who has the tree and has personal experience with its growth pace and habits, for instance. Smart Red said hers only grew 20' in 20 years - very helpful info. But I will contact that county agent, good idea.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Che Joubert said:
Thanks for the post Smart Red - it was very helpful. Anyway I'm curious to know the difference in the row of trees vs your tree in height. Thanks again.
The row of "trees" in town never get taller than about 8 feet since they are cut to the ground each year. Mine had serious die back every year as well until recently when it seemed to acclimatize itself to my land and actually grew on old growth. You are in a slightly warmer area than I am. You may not have the problem of die back. If so, your tree just may grow much faster than mine.

It can grow as a single trunk tree or as a large shrub depending upon how you care for it. I suppose the row in town are more shrubby than tree-like.