Rudy, the survivor

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So you named your Miss Priss, Frick. Are you expecting a Frack to come along as well?

I am presuming by outside, you mean out of your brooder rather than out in the dangerous world beyond the house and coop. I really do like your feather duster broody and plan on one when my next chicks arrive May 13/14th.

Yes, yes, yes! Pictures please!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Outside as in an outside brooder w/ fenced yard. Frack is the little bantam chick we got to keep him company since he was alone. They are best buds.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that beautiful silver seabright chick is turning into a guy? :eek: Sigh of sadness here. :( I would love to have some of those beautiful birds, but as a roo for dinner? Not so much.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Guess what????????

DSC_0804.JPG

Rudy butt :lol:

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, they were just given some greens to munch on. Eggs yes, their favorite treat. If I don't distract the bunns they rush enmass to see if they like Rudy's food better.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Kassaundra, I am just curious about Rudy's skin color of red with black speckles. Is there a chicken breed that is has that skin color or is it from sun exposure, like getting a tan? I've only seen white skin and yellow before.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The red is just guy hormones, any skin exposed in a mature male would be as red as their combs. You can see this in normal NN boys their entire exposed skin in the neck turns red. The "freckles" are b/c he carries a fibromelonic gene, like silkies or other black skinned breeds, however he doesn't have the dark fibro they do. At hatch he was darker as he aged he got lighter and then freckled. Boys do tend to lighten more then females w/ fm.

When we first took his pants off this spring he was 1/2 and 1/2 the uncovered top half was bright red the covered lower half was flesh / freckled it took a week or two for the red to develop in the uncovered areas.

Even females in lay will be bright red where their skin is exposed like second picture.

8-10-14c (1).JPG
8-10-14c (7).JPG

Latest posts