RUNuts 2018 Garden thread (attempt)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't grow moringa here, it is a subtropical plant. So I don't know where to tell you to buy it, I guess where ever you find it, buy it.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Zeedman was talking about Moringa seeds. Where do you recommend to get them Zeedman?

I've seen several people mention smaller seed suppliers or backyard seed share programs. Since I am starting, I'm clueless on what to look for. I was attempting to start an aquarium and did a lot of testing on my tap water before I figured out how salty it is. I killed a lot of water plants before I figured this out. Don't want to repeat that with trees. I collect a bit of rainwater but in a drought, it is not enough. Normally, we are saturated but have been enjoying dry summers for the last couple of years. Another reason that raised beds should do well here.

Crazy Lady has approved bananas. This is going to be fun. If they live...

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My sister lives in Conroe and has banana trees. They freeze down in the winter, but come back out in the spring. Just mulch them good in the winter.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your sister wouldn't have any extra banana pups would she? Does she get fruit? From my internet knowledge, they need a year and half to fruit. That means some kind of protection or a warm spot or a mild winter.

Very interesting plant.

Made a couple of discoveries. Acorn squash tastes better. Zucchini doesn't. Pumpkin is the new standard. Which is interesting and someone else will grow them for Halloween. Doesn't seem like I should bother. Wait for 1 November and go ask for pumpkins. Butternut this year. I've still got seeds. Along with pumpkin. LOL.

Merry Christmas!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the purple hull peas, you don't have to trellis them (I don't) but give them a lot of room. Mine can run 3 or 4 feet if not more. If you are using raised beds I'd give them their own bed. Up here if I keep them picked off they produce all season until frost. Pick then when the hulls turn purple, hull them out, and simmer with a slice of bacon. Those are hard to beat.

Right now everything for you is an experiment. You need to look at it that way. Some things will just fail, that's just the way it is. With your nice winters and hot summers timing is going to be really important for you. Cool weather crops are going to be a challenge. If it gets too hot on then they can bolt to seed or turn bitter. Those hot summers can be brutal to a lot of things. Your timing is going to be different from practically all of us because of your climate.

I suggest you talk to your local extension office and see if they have prepared a planting calendar for your local conditions. A statewide calendar won't be much help unless it has a section especially for your area. You might want to talk to your local master gardeners too, the extension office should be able to give you a contact. I don't know how your Master Gardener program is set up in Texas, Texas probably will do things its own way just to be different, but Master Gardeners have a ton of local knowledge and are usually willing to share. That knowledge should be timing, what grows in your area and how to grow it, and maybe seeds, starts, and other supplies.

Steve ( @digitS' ) once said all gardening is local, which means we all have our own soils types, conditions, and microclimates. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum on how to do things but you'll have to adapt that to your conditions. One example. Your strawberry season is probably February. Mine is May. I'd imagine Thistle's or Steve's is July, maybe August.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:) Yes, it's true but I'm a great Texas A&M admirer.

RU, Here is that Coop Extension page: LINK

I also look for guidance from people at Virginia Tech, Cornell, Clemson, U of Minnesota, UC Davis, NCSU, Purdue, University of Melbourne, Canadian Biodiversity IF ...

:) Steve

Steve how do like that first link, the planting calendar for Harris County. Perfect for RU. But do you notice how many things have two seasons? Mine doesn't look anything like that.