RUNuts 2018 Garden thread (attempt)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Etymology[edit]
From Russian тро́йка (trójka, “a group of three”).

Troika - group of three. Usually used by nobility when wolf hunting. Having 3 that would work together insured the wolf was captured alive to be brought to the mansion for show and without harming the Borzoi.

Ideally, you walk all three on leads. People get out of your way. Crazy Lady would walk Jake to the primary school to get the little ones. Jake had a fan club. Got a lot of looks from parents. The little ones loved it.

Heard tell of a rancher who wound up with a pair. They would follow him on his horse. When a coyote was spotted, they would wait for the command. Game on. They returned to the house later, a little tired, but job done.

There was one years ago that got away and didn't want to return, although they tried. Reports said that he was living on deer. Happy as a clam.

Last edited:

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got cherry tomatoes on the vine. Grape size and growing. The fourth bag of cucumbers has sprouted. Way may get cucumbers this year. Still going through the radishes. Actually almost keeping up this time. Sunflowers 3 feet tall. Peas are thinking about it.

Should replant the peppers. Dismal. Got one that is looking ok. One row of lettuce looking good. Should have replanted the others a third time. And the Mustard is blooming. 6 foot tall and blooming yellow. Pretty.

The zucchini are yellowing. Got one that is looking well. We may get a few. What is surprising is the butternut squash that have returned from the dead. Have 3 vines showing promise. Been too long since I did this!!

Nasturtiums have blossoms. Not opened yet, but soon. One package of marigolds and ONE plant sprouted. Wow.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe in Russia when hunting with Borzoi 2 males and 1 female where used. Russian wolf hunting made English fox hunting look like a poor mans sport. Only the very wealthy could afford to hunt wolves with Borzoi. When the royal family was murdered most Borzoi in Russia where slaughtered because they where the dog of nobility. I read many descriptions of hunting wolves with these dogs, I have a hard time believing they where such great hunters because they are so gentle.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you been to the coursing trials?

I was told in NM that they will walk the fields looking for jack rabbits and the selected dogs are ran. They get points on length of run, agility and ? Been to long since I looked at it. We wanted to go. But NM is a 12 hour drive and that makes for a long weekend.

The ones around dallas use the plastic bag lures. Straight run or in a loop. The loop was impressive. Had 6 hounds on the chase. Some REALLY into it. Some enjoying a nice walk in the field.

Very impressive to see the dogs in full gallop. Ridgebacks, salukis, greyhounds, Borzoi, Italian greyhounds, whippets, and the such. The smaller ones were amusing to me. The big ones just floated over the ground. They ran like breed mostly. The mixed breeds were telling. Can't remember, but one breed out distanced the other. Could have been conditioning too.

Cheers!

The radishes are in full harvest. Instead of getting 2-4 a day, I pulled a dozen today. Crunchy!
Ate the first nasturtium flower. Different taste. Very like radish.

What is a warm weather salad leaf vegetable that you can harvest all summer? My lettuce fizzled.

Cucumbers show promise!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never been lure coursing have been to greyhound racing my mother was a big fan. @Gardening with Rabbits father worked with racing greyhounds. One of my mentors grew up on the track, his father was a trainer. He said for a while Italians where tried for racing but their bones where to weak 1 race and their legs would break.

Latest posts