Rusty's Dahlias

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dahlias 2013 040.JPG
It's been awhile since I've been on here....I hope everyone is well and had a great Holiday season. We have tons of snow here in Northern Michigan and I'm looking forward to Spring everyday. I'm hoping to put in about 3,000 Dahlias this coming May. I'm storing about 3,500 lbs. of tubers this Winter in the basement....about 100 varieties. I'll try and post more photos......My best to all. This Dahlia is called "Myrtle's Folly"..... Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rusty, I LOVE those Dahlias. I am so sick of cold and snow it is good to see the pretty flowers. I think it is time I try a few dahlias in my flower bed. Do you have a recommendation for 1st time dahlia growers? Stay warm.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rusty, I LOVE those Dahlias. I am so sick of cold and snow it is good to see the pretty flowers. I think it is time I try a few dahlias in my flower bed. Do you have a recommendation for 1st time dahlia growers? Stay warm.
Thanks..... I would choose varieties that suit your color pallet and shapes and sizes that are attractive to you. Also, I would ONLY grow as many plants that you have time and space for. Taller varieties need staking....lower varieties are noticed less and can sometimes be lost when planted with other flowers/plants. If I can help you get started....let me know.... This photo is of the variety called "Pippi"....but as you can see..it has decided to make it's own pattern.
dahlias 2013 035.JPG

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Rusty! Good to see you, and your beautiful dahlias. I ended up planting my dahlias in a different bed last summer. Much deeper, looser soil. Wow, what a difference that made! I had more dahlias than ever. Hoping for a repeat performance next year...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 430 It's been awhile since I've been on here....I hope everyone is well and had a great Holiday season. We have tons of snow here in Northern Michigan and I'm looking forward to Spring everyday. I'm hoping to put in about 3,000 Dahlias this coming May. I'm storing about 3,500 lbs. of tubers this Winter in the basement....about 100 varieties. I'll try and post more photos......My best to all. This Dahlia is called "Myrtle's Folly"..... Rusty Hart (Irish Acres)
Love, love, love that Dahlia. Good to see you again, Rusty. I was just thinking about you the other day, hoping you made the jump over to the new format.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for another nice welcome back.......it's sure good to see some of my dahlia/gardening buddies again. Here is a photo of the North end of the Dahlia field.....I'll post photos from other areas of the Dahlia bed later......Enjoy!!!!
dahlias 2013 037.JPG

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your plants look strong, clean and all round healthy! Looks like you have a nice sheltered location.

Latest posts