Rye flour... Question

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have been to three different grocery stores and none of them carry rye flour. I finally found a recipe for the german caraway rye bread I grew up on and now I can't find the flour to make it. Anyone else have the same problem. Looks like I am going to have to spend a day calling all the grocers in a 25 mile radius to find someone that carries it. Sheeeesh! :somad

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's available online from many sources. It just isn't popular enough for most food stores to carry it.

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I looked in our Farmer's Market Bulletin here since many of them ship already, but no such luck.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Maybe try a whole foods or health food store.
Yes, Whole Foods does carry it, I know since I work there.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I buy it from Harris Teeter here, which is just a regular super grocery store. Its $5 for a 5# bag.

I'm not happy with the price, but that's the way it is when no one else close by carries it.

However, it is "Red Mill" brand... I think you can order directly from their website and buy in bulk. I know they have a ton of advertisements in the Mother Earth News Magazines.

I think Kroger carries it in small bags... 1 1/2 to 3lb sizes. But again... its like $3.69 for the tiny bag.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Red Mill has good flour. I use their polenta in place of corn meal when I make corn bread. It's not as dry that way.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I get rye flour at Amish grocery stores. I've also ordered online from King Arthur.

There was a time when the Food Lion and other "average" grocery chains in NC carried rye flour. But they've stopped some time back and only the "higher end" groceries have it now.

ETA: I can buy bulk directly from the Amish suppliers. If I can ever make time, I'm going to add bulk items like that to our retail website. So much to do....so little time. :)

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks all I will keep looking. I will be in Kalamazoo today, some larger stores there. I'm not sure if there is a whole foods store around here.

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well after checking for the nearest whole foods store I found it is in Chicago. 100 miles from here. I did find a natural food store in Kalamazoo that stocked small thirty ounce bags so I bought all they had (4) @ $2.00 per lb. Kind of pricey but it is labeled "organic" hence the markup. Wouldn't you know it right after that I went across the street and checked in a "Hardings" and sure enough they had three 5# bags left at $1.00 per lb. :he

Does anyone know if rye flour is susceptable to flour beetles as is white flour?