safe plants for chicken/duck yards?

sianara

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination. That said :D ...

I'm very interested in finding some non toxic plants/small trees to go into two new animal yards, specifically 1 duck yard and 1 chicken yard. I've cleared a wooded area and am now fencing it in but I'd really like to beautify the yards for both asthetics and shade. Any suggestions?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You are welcome sianara, :frow

I remember how concerned I was when I first let my chickens free-range my garden but I have noticed that they don't touch anything which is poisonous -- unlike children who will still try it even when told....!!!
:rose Hattie :rose

sianara

Sprout
Reaction score
I printed out both of the lists and they are pretty extensive. I was looking to see if the Hosta plant was listed but it's not even though I found something on line that said it was in the lily family which IS toxic.

My husbands got a huge one about 2 feet around that he's going to split into four smaller plants and I wanted to take one of them for the duck yard but now I'm not sure if it's safe.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many thanks sianara,
I will add that page to the other poisonous plant pages I've saved.

Let us know if you find more. Maybe at some point we can put all the info together -- in the depths of winter maybe; when we are longing to start planting again. :D

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sianara,

I forgot to ask you if you have tried looking on the data-base of our sister site, BackYard Chickens.com The link is at the bottom of the page.

Good Luck :happy_flower

Latest posts