Sage-- tell me more!

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Since my herbs don't usually do well, and it's so cold here for most to be perennial, I scattered many sage seeds, as I do all my other herbs, hoping for "some" to use with my fresh turkeys.. Well, I have a TON of plants. I think that literally every seed I planted has come up and is growing to be very big.

What do you use your sage for? I have only ever seasoned poultry with it. I plan to dry some, and freeze some, but it's only July and I have years worth out there already!!!!!!

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Super-- I'll add it to the list. I think I'll be digging plants and giving as gifts to people-- most of my friends "never thought to plant sage", so I might spread the joy around while there's still time to get them back in the ground, or in pots on windowsills.

Ridgerunner said:
Just to start the ball rolling, I think it does great things to meat loaf.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
Super-- I'll add it to the list. I think I'll be digging plants and giving as gifts to people-- most of my friends "never thought to plant sage", so I might spread the joy around while there's still time to get them back in the ground, or in pots on windowsills.

Ridgerunner said:
That would make a good gift. :) They'll probably need thinning anyhow. I was surprised by how big a sage plant can get. They'll come back year after year if they're healthy. And next year you'll get the *prettiest* blooms on them. The leaves have to be harvested prior to the blooms coming on though, for best flavor. Here's a pic of mine from this year. I've decided to move all my perennial herbs to my flowerbed. They really look nice!

I use mine mostly on poultry, pork loin or for decorations.

ETA: Since you're farther north than I am, you might want to doublecheck to see if they're winter-hardy in your area. I can leave mine in the ground, but I'd hate to tell you that and yours not make it! :p

6486_dscf3078_web.jpg

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Oh so pretty!!

I don't "do" flowers- not yet, but I'm working on a perennial herb garden. The birds like it more than the herbs though, LOL! It's only year 2 of the herb garden bed- last year we just tilled it due to time constraints, but this year amended it with compost, but again, due to time ( I had surgery in May), didn't do much more. In the fall when the grass around it isnt' so prolific, I'm going to dig and put in a border with the cedar blocks that we have tons of ( a friend dropped them off) and add to it, and move some of the sage around, and see if it comes back. I planted chives in 1 corner that should come back next year, I'll proabably put the sage in the opposite corner after putting in the border, and go from there next year!

journey11 said:
NurseNettie said:

Ridgerunner said:
That would make a good gift. :) They'll probably need thinning anyhow. I was surprised by how big a sage plant can get. They'll come back year after year if they're healthy. And next year you'll get the *prettiest* blooms on them. The leaves have to be harvested prior to the blooms coming on though, for best flavor. Here's a pic of mine from this year. I've decided to move all my perennial herbs to my flowerbed. They really look nice!

I use mine mostly on poultry, pork loin or for decorations.

ETA: Since you're farther north than I am, you might want to doublecheck to see if they're winter-hardy in your area. I can leave mine in the ground, but I'd hate to tell you that and yours not make it! :p

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6486_dscf3078_web.jpg

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I like to rub some dried sage leaves over my grits with lots of butter or olive oil and a little salt and pepper. No sugar - I've heard some folks do that to grits - that's probably why they don't like them.

Raindance

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It is excellent in chicken soup. :)

The bees love it.