San Marzano Tomatoe

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my first year trying the San Marzano tomatoe. I'm excited to see how it does. I know that many of you rave about this paste tomatoe. It already has flowers! Yea!

Mary
photo (2).JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now you keep this up, you'll join the southerners! Pix of nice, pretty tomatoes. Oh, the misery.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I decided that I just wasn't likely to have enuf time for San Marzano.

This will only be the 2nd time for me to have a paste tomato so I really don't know what I'm doing. I decided that a 68 day, determinate variety might be best. Heinz 2653. Apparently, there are more of these olde Heinz varieties so I need to remember the 2653. Not very melodic, is it?

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm ahead of Bay, wow.

Seedcorn, I'll be jealous of you when you are planting cantelope and watermelon. Some of my favorite fruits.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew them last year and we really liked them for pizza. The plants produced LOTS of tomatoes. :drool

jackb

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had them before and they did very well. I'm growing several different paste tomatoes this year but that isn't on the list this time.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Outstanding tomato for salsa and sauces. I found it takes only half the time of my other sauce tomatos to get a nice thick paste. In blind taste tests of tomato sauces San Marzano almost always comes out the winner. It is all but impossible to find real canned San Marzano tomatos at anything but gourmet stores. Look carefully at the ones in your store and you will probably find canned tomatos labeled San Marzano but they are most often followed by the word "type". I guess any paste tomato is a San Marzano "type"
San Marzanos offer a good argument for saving seed. They had become extinct except in two Italian gardens where the seed had been saved and passed down for generations. That's why San Marzanos are labeled as 1 or 2 depending on which garden the seed was gathered from. San Marzano 2 seems to be a bit larger and blockier.

Latest posts