Sand for clay

Buster

Sprout
Reaction score
Never mind. The question was already answered in another thread started by OaklandCityFarmer

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22997

If I could delete this topic, I would.

=============================================================================================

My soil is heavy clay. I've tilled it and it doesn't look as bad as I expected it to. The garden area was in a heavily grassed horse pasture in years past. Getting that grass out has been a bear (not done yet... not crab grass but sure acts like it) so I would assume it has benefited from organic matter over the years.

I getting ready to do double dug beds in the tilled area and read adding some sand might me a good idea for clay soil. I also read somewhere that some sands are better than others, and to only use certain types, but I can't remember what those were.

So, does adding sand to the beds sound like a good idea? And what type of sand should I use or avoid in the bed?

Thanks!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sand bad (except very coarse sand or fine gravel, in relatively VAST quantities - do it big-time or not at all); but organic matter, in whatever amounts you can manage, good :)

Have fun, clay does have its good points,

Pat

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always added peat moss, leaves and manure [cow and green] to my garden to improve the tilth...with clay it takes a bit longer but is very doable...

Latest posts