Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Angie, you are in the same state with 3 fine seed companies:

Fedco in Waterville
Johnny's in Winslow
Pinetree in New Gloucester

Fedco & Johnny's, I guess, are just on opposite sides of the Kennebec River. Pinetree is near the coast. Why don't you think about stopping by one or more of these outfits?

Steve
Steve beat me to it.

I order from Johnny's all the time, they have a great catalog with lots of good info and neat varieties to try. But Pinetree has good stuff, too, and they're much cheaper, that's where I get my potatoes.

I have to admit I've never ordered from Fedco, but they have a huge presence at the Common Ground Fair, they have nice things to offer, too.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice order Angie, we can do this together... :gig

We both have to wait a while.... April/May to get going!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Angie, I'm going to clarify something I said yesterday and then go back and edit my post:

Indoors:

PEPPERs - need a good head start - 8 weeks & maybe longer before setting out (not last frost).
TOMATOes - 6 weeks for sure, you can go much longer if they can get sufficient light and you are willing to keep transplanting them into larger pots. Ya' just gotta run out of indoor space pretty quickly, tho'.
BROCCOLI - start about 6 weeks before setting out (not last frost).
Brussels sprouts - same as broccoli

I have to admit I've never ordered from Fedco, but they have a huge presence at the Common Ground Fair, they have nice things to offer, too.
Ann, I didn't know that Fedco existed until a couple years ago. I had missed something on an order from another company and casting about on the internet seeing if it was offered elsewhere. One thing, I don't know why they kinda "dilute" their presence by advertising their spuds separately under the name "Moose Tubers." Then "Fedco" for that matter . . . sounds like I'm ordering under a congressional earmark or somethin'.

Steve

Latest posts