Sauerkraut? Any body make it?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think those crocks cost about 60 to 75 bucks. I use pretty much the same method as seedcorn, except I use a glass container. I end up using about a tablespoon of Kosher salt per medium head of cabbage. I also use any left over kraut juice I have from the last batch. That really speeds up the process. Maybe that's why mine went soft that time--it fermented quicker and more thoroughly than I expected. Some people put caraway seed in theirs, but I would rather have it plain.

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner,

That's a real nice batch of kraut you have there. I also like the crock system you use.

Tony

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are kraut fanatics here! My grandmother gave me her giant old Redwing crock and I make kraut every year in it. I usually buy around 80 pounds of cabbage or so. We only use salt in ours as well- it's the best! I splurged on a cabbage slicer a few years ago and it works wonders. Before that I used to cut all those heads of cabbage by hand and it was a lot of work. I try to eat a spoonful of kraut every day to keep my immune system in order- it has worked well so far!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the Veria station tonight, on the program called "The Incurables" there was a gal who had had stomach pains, cravings and bloating for years, since she was a teen. She finally went to an alternative medicine practitioner, and was told to eat fermented food: kraut! The pains and bloating went away, and she lived "happily ever after." Well, not exactly that quickly, but the main treatment was to eat the fermented food. She also had candida in her digestive system, fed by carbs. That is a terrible fungus to have in you, starving you.
I made kraut today. I still cut it by hand, but I only make a gallon at a time. Making kraut makes me feel like a Frau Suzy Homemaker. lol :p

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hot Pepper and Frau,

Cutting the cabbage up by hand for kraut sounds like a whole bunch of work. wow You all need a big round of applause.:celebrate I couldn't find a little clapping guy so you get the celebration guy instead.

Really though, I'm certain I'd end up with cut fingers if I tried doing that by hand.

Tony

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fil up in New York did his annual sauerkraut yesterday they used
180 pounds of cabbage...that's going to be a few quarts

mrcman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ridgerunner,

I told the wife about your using red cabbage so it wouldn't show the blood...she almost gasped. I told her you were just KIDDING.

You were...weren't you??:ep

Tony

Latest posts