Sauerkraut not bubbling (AND PICS OF FUNKY FUNGI)

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I also use a stone crock but I seal the top with a plastic bag. I form the bottom of the bag on top of the kraut and add about 2" of water. It seals it off and is very easy to remove when kraut is ready. I got the idea from a Dept. of Agriculture booklet.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that's a clever idea! I really struggled to find a plate the right size and ended up using a storage container lid.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This year I used a fresh grape leaf or two on all my ferments, weighted down with a scrubbed rock. You can also use horseradish leaves if you like that taste.

I've also used a ziploc freeze bag filled with brine (in case of leaks) and that worked really well....I'm just trying to remove plastic contact with food where ever possible in my life, hence the switch to leaves.

Reaction score
I watched my inlaws make sauerkraut for years, but this was my first time making it on my own.

I filled an 8 gallon crock to within about 6 inches of the top (5 lbs shredded to 3 tbs canning salt), mashing each batch with a wooden spoon to release their water. I covered it with a damp white cloth, placed wooden boards on top, a plate on top of the boards, then topped it off with a huge rock. Ended up with about 3 inches of juice on top.

It foamed up for about a week, then stopped foaming (I skimmed it almost every day, then replaced the rag and cleaned everything once a week), and started building a filmy scum that smells like yeast. Is this normal, or should I be worried? This Friday will be 3 weeks since I made it.

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We use 5 gallon FOOD GRADE buckets for our Kraut, we have the first batch shelved, and the next batch (37 pounds) is going to be ready in a couple days.

pharmerphil

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just posted pics of our Kraut in the new thread titled "Kraut & Carrots":)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it did ferment and turned out like it was supposed to... But I didn't check it as faithfully as I should have and ended up with some tiny larvae from a type of small fly in it. It laid it's eggs on the canning jars and when they'd go down to the brine they got pickled too and sunk to the bottom. I couldn't separate them out from the good kraut. Out it goes! :sick

I think I'll either try doing it directly in the jars next time, or doing a brine filled bag instead of plate-and-jars.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sounds like skipper flies. They are very salt tolerant little buggers and have ruined more than one batch of bacon on me. I always covered the kraut crocks with muslin tied tightly with twine or a rubber band cut from an old tire inner tube. You can't let the muslin sag into the brine or they'll lay their eggs anyway.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's where I went wrong... I just draped a kitchen towel over it.

Latest posts