Saving Butternut Squash

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A friend gave me a box full of butternut squash. Is it possible to freeze, can, preserve or otherwise save for future use? If so, how do you do it? Thanks!

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! I guess it doesn't get any easier than that! :D
About how long do they last? Is there any way to tell from the outside if they're going bad, or will I have to cut them open?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sunnychooks said:
Wow! I guess it doesn't get any easier than that! :D
About how long do they last? Is there any way to tell from the outside if they're going bad, or will I have to cut them open?
If conditions are right, cool and dry and dark,they should keep thru most of the winter. You will be able to tell when they start to turn by soft discolored spots on the outsides of the sqaush.
They will turn from the outside in.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You can dip the perfect ones in a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. THis kills any organisms on them that cause them to mold and rot. Let it drip dry onto the squash and then store as mentioned above. Using this method, I was eating butternut squash from my cellar until spring!

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to go about freezing the squash? Should I peel then cut up small and boil it first ( guess I should say blanch it first)?

I just tried this squash for the first time and was thinking of planting a few in the garden this year.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Gloria said:
Does anyone know how to go about freezing the squash? Should I peel then cut up small and boil it first ( guess I should say blanch it first)?

I just tried this squash for the first time and was thinking of planting a few in the garden this year.
I think it's better to steam or roast it instead of boiling. You lose flavor when you boil. But yes, just cook and then cool and freeze.

Gloria

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your help. Should I roast cut in halfs or cut up in small chunks? Just looking for the easiest way to get it done. Also, how long should I roast it for? 350 degrees?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I usually cut mine into slices, cut the peel off and take the seedy guts out, and cube the rest, put in a large covered glass bowl, and then microwave it til soft and smushable. Then cool and freeze. When thawed it can be mashed/pureed further for use as side dish, or used in baking (squash bread, pumpkin pie, etc)

You can also microwave it to a lesser degree and freeze as cubes if you have recipes that use cubed cooked squash.

If you roast it, IMO it has a bit better flavor, though. Cut in half *lengthwise* (so you have two mirror halves), remove seedy guts, put the halves facedown on a lightly greased rimmed baking tray, and bake at whatever temperature is convenient til easily pierced by a fork. Cool, scrape the flesh out, and freeze.

JME,

Pat

Latest posts