Saving hot pepper seeds

poppycat

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There's this awesome Vietnamese restaurant near us and the guy who owns it got some awesome hot peppers from a friend of a friend who brought the seeds from Vietnam. He very kindly gave me half a pepper to save the seeds.

I've never saved pepper seeds before. Do you have to go through the same process as tomato seeds for them to grow the next year or should I just dry them out and plant them next spring?

This is a huge score for me. Those peppers are so freakin' hot that my lips and scalp are still burning from the one I ate a few hours ago. I can't wait to grow them next year!

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a very lucky girl :cool:!
Just take and rake the seeds off the pepper stem on to a paper towel or paper plate ,sorta spread them out and let them dry for 2 weeks and then put them in a envelope label and date ..... plant them in the spring and here is hoping you get lot's of lil pepper plants

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You don't have to do the fermenting/rotting thing with peppers as there is no jelly around the seeds in the first place. I've never saved seeds from fresh hot peppers, just dried ones from stores (which sprouted just fine the next year), but I suspect it is like "either they are mature enough or they aren't" :p If it were me, in the absence of further information I would just knock the seeds out, let them air-dry a few days, then store them.

Good luck,

Pat, sadly in too cold a climate to grow much in the way of hot peppers here but having had fun with them in more southerly locations

the pumpkin king

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I had some bell pepper and zucchini seeds and let them air dry and stored them in two storage bag's and I went to go look at them and they were molded and then I kept them open for a couple days an the mold went away.:tools

Latest posts