Saving onions and peppers until tomatoes are ready

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to make homemade salsa but my onions, banana and jalepeno peppers are already coming and the tomatoes are still green. What would be the best way to keep the peppers and onions until the tomatoes are ready? Freeze, dehydrate???

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know about peppers. For onions and garlic I buy the cheapest pair of nylons I can get, cut the tops off, and then put the onions in one at a time tying a knot between each onion. Then hang on a nail in a dark cool place. For me that is my basement. I can cure onions that way as well.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
you can freeze your peppers, onions will keep well in dark cool place. they can last about two weeks. you can cut up onions and freeze it too. I do this all the time when I need chopped onions to cook with.

schmije

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I agree with desertlady. If you plan on cooking with them, freeze the onions and peppers. We do this often, and it's easy to pull out a handfull at a time for things like fajitas.

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
schmije said:
If you plan on cooking with them, freeze the onions and peppers.
They won't be cooked in salsa so do you think that freezing will keep them "fresh" enough to still use when the tomatoes are ready?

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cityfarmer said:
I don't know about peppers. For onions and garlic I buy the cheapest pair of nylons I can get, cut the tops off, and then put the onions in one at a time tying a knot between each onion. Then hang on a nail in a dark cool place. For me that is my basement. I can cure onions that way as well.
I've heard this idea before but what about those of us with no basement or root cellar? Any other ideas?

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I dont see why not ! If its very short term freezing it may be ok, By the way do you have tomatoes growing ?what kind? if they reach their size and still green you can put it in brown paper bag they will turn red. unless you have along way to go growing tomatoes !

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't see why you can't keep the onions right in the ground- as long as your soil drains well, they can stay put. Not sure where you are located - I suppose this might not be true in very dry, hot areas.... My guess is the peppers will still keep on coming right along with your ripe tomatoes. I would throw some in the freezer, but I bet you will have plenty when you are ready for salsa.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you have a decent enough fridge, your peppers will store in the crisper for atleast 2 weeks. Our fridge's crisper keeps things fresh pretty long. I picked 3 gallons of hot peppers in one sitting and stored them in my crisper for almost a month before they started getting soft. As far as onions go, I have stored them in nylons in a closet I don't use very often and it worked just fine. As long as your house doesn't get too high in temperature I think they'll be fine. I have also put fresh onions in my fridge before too and they last a REALLY long time in a plastic bag.

ETA: the key to keeping your peppers fresh for a long time, is to make sure the tops and stems stay on. Cut the peppers off the plant with kitchen shears as far up the stem as possible without damaging the plant.

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
desertlady said:
I dont see why not ! If its very short term freezing it may be ok, By the way do you have tomatoes growing ?what kind? if they reach their size and still green you can put it in brown paper bag they will turn red. unless you have along way to go growing tomatoes !
I have at least 12 varieties of tomatoes, heirlooms that I grew and plants that I bought. There are several plants that are loaded with green tomatoes and the peppers have just now started.

Arbuznyi
Azaychka
Better Boy
Big Boy
Earl's
Eckert Polish
Gardener's Delight
Grapette
Hahms Gelbe
Jubilee
Juliet
Orange Minsk
Rainbow
Rio Grande
Supersonic

As you can see, I went a little crazy buying seed.;)

Thanks for the help everyone.