1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Sawdust As A Soil Builder

Discussion in 'Composting & Soil Building' started by freedhardwoods, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Sep 16, 2014
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Bay you are a mind reader LOL

baymule likes this.
  2. Sep 16, 2014
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

The 'situation' was that I had no tiller and a desire to produce produce ( sHa_hehe.gif ) for myself and some friends. As usual, my idea was more than my pocketbook or my body could fulfill. The garden shrank - I learned a BUNCH - the plans changed - I learned a BUNCH MORE.... It's still a work in progress (like they all are).
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/from-comunity-garden-into-first-try-at-a-garden.11824/

This year's garden was back in the same 15' circle. But 'Rotmore II' is almost ready right beside it. The posts are going in for the chicken run/moat. And I'm still having a great time working on it. thumbsup.gif

3. Sep 16, 2014
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

For those that have used or consider using sawdust from a cabinet shop ... that sawdust is mostly from melemine ( hard plastic coating) glued to plywood that contains wood particles that is held together with glue. Also hardwoods --- mostly red oak, cedar, alder, birch , cherry, walnut , bamboo ( held together with glue ) as well as some exotic imported woods for custom cabinets.

4. Sep 16, 2014
    canesisters

Hum, I guess it's the melemine that gives my garden that light fluffy soil. Kinda like the beads in potting soil. thumbsup.gif I can bury by arm almost up to my elbow just by working my hand into it.
    Well whatever it is, the plants LOVE it. I'm able to grow, in a 15' circle, more than I have been able to process. Can't wait to get the 2nd and 3rd circles going.

thistlebloom and Nyboy like this.
  5. Sep 16, 2014
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Cane send some melemine to me, I can't get a fingernail passed mine. So wish I had your soil.

thistlebloom likes this.
  6. Sep 16, 2014
    canesisters

Just run down to Walmart and pick up the biggest entertainment center you can find. Then spend a couple of weeks putting it together. Sit it out in your garden. Five mins after the first rain starts, you'll have the start of a pile of lovely, fluffy compost. sSig_rofl.gif
    Actually, most of my soil is clay that is hard as a brick when its dry and sticky enough to add 3" to my height when it's wet.
    I still say that you need some chickens.
    1. They provide pre-fertailzed wood shavings to use in your compost
    2. They make weeding fun. I call it 'harvesting' when I collect a 5gal bucket full of 'mixed field greens' for my girls.
    3. I don't mind so much when I go out and find that half of yesterday's 'almost there' tomatoes have suddenly gone soft and yucky because now they're simply fuel for the egg machines.

7. Sep 16, 2014
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

The melemine is a hard plastic manufactured from oil through the wonders of chemistry .

8. Sep 16, 2014
    freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Deeply Rooted

I knew big factories used melamine. I didn't think about smaller shops using it. The Amish shops in my area don't build cheap cabinets with melamine in them.

Wood chips take a lot longer to break down and rot than sawdust does. Tilling in sawdust works well if you add nitrogen to help it break down. Many no-till gardeners put wood chips on top of the soil as mulch.

9. Sep 16, 2014
    freedhardwoods

freedhardwoods Deeply Rooted

Interesting thread about starting your garden.

On the job learnin' is always better than book learnin'.

canesisters likes this.
  10. Sep 17, 2014
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Great minds run in the same compost pile. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nyboy and canesisters like this.