Saying Goodbye to My Sunflowers

prism

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
orloff said:
Really! I never knew there was wild sunflowers.
Sunflower is one of those self-seeding plants so they can come up anywhere. I had 3 different types show up in my veggie garden this year and let them grow for the birds. One is a thick stalked single huge flower. The other is also thick stalked and branches at the top with mid to large sized flowers (about 5 flowers). The third is very branched starting near the bottom of the stalk and branches out as wide as the plant is tall which is close to five feet. The stalk and branches are thin and the flowers are small. We have several bird feeders and I think the birds must have dropped the seed in the garden. I was hoping I could catch some pictures of the chickadees eating the seed off the plant. No luck yet though.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey orloff, here's a couple of pics of some of the wild sunflowers. The first pic shows the average size of the blooms (sometimes they are a bit bigger), the second pic is to show the height before they croak. This particular one suffered a premature death. For reference, DH is 6' tall....

IMG_2256.jpg

tall_sunflower.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear ya!!! I cleared out the last of mine last week and harvested the seed heads.

I tuck them in everywhere I can fit them, all sizes, shapes and colors (I particularly love the Moulin Rouge and another I don't know the name but it has short, bright yellow petals around a large, dark, chocolate brown center.)

The more I cut them for bouquets to bring in, the more blooms they give me! They really do make me happy just looking at them.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
deenamr said:
Thanks for sharing your sunny welcome! I love the ones reaching into the sky, beauty of a photo!

Your post title made me think of these ... they seem to be saying good-bye ....

6517_picture_4715.jpg
[/img]

I love the wild sunflowers too, such a feast for the birds. They have not popped up here the past few years, I miss them! :(

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I will miss the sunflowers while my garden goes back to nature, but I will see the faces, burning and dancing in the fall colors that make blankets under my trees...........

33644_picture_194.jpg

Latest posts