Saying hello from SW Missouri!!

Reaction score
I live in a small town just north of Springfield.

I have been a member of BYC since July 2010 under the username BarefootMom :)

I have the biggest garden planted this year that I have ever planted! Actually it is split up into 5 different areas... So far everything is doing really well.

23 tomato plants
15 pepper plants (both sweet and hot)
5 rows of sweet corn
3 rows green beans
2 rows cucumbers
1 row zuchinni
1/2 row carrots
3 rows potatoes (1 row was volunteer from last year)
1/2 row lettuce
3 cabbage plants
1 row okra
2 rows peanuts (experimenting)
2 rows watermelons
2 rows sunflowers
4 rows ornamental corn
15 pumpkin seeds

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome from BC, Canada. :frow

Boy, you're going to be busy! Keep us updated on the peanuts as I've never known anyone who planted them. (with pics if possible).

Also I took a course on seed saving earlier this year and the instructor said not to plant sweet corn and ornamental corn close because they cross pollinate and your sweet corn won't taste as good. I don't have any experience in this but thought I would pass it on for what it is worth.

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi BackyardCritter from Indiana. I'd love to see some pictures. You have a great start on the season. I only have cabbage, broccoli and peas planted because of all the rain.:frow

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, BackyardCritter :frow!

4grandbabies said:
. . . Centertown ,Mo. . .
Now, you 2 aren't going to fight about which one, Centertown or Half Way, is in the middle of things, are you?!?

My grandmother was born in Daviess County in 1889 but when I look for the town (Bancroft) google shows me nothing but a road. I guess Bancroft would be in the middle of nowhere these days ;).

Steve

Reaction score
jojo54 said:
:welcome Welcome from BC, Canada. :frow

Boy, you're going to be busy! Keep us updated on the peanuts as I've never known anyone who planted them. (with pics if possible).

Also I took a course on seed saving earlier this year and the instructor said not to plant sweet corn and ornamental corn close because they cross pollinate and your sweet corn won't taste as good. I don't have any experience in this but thought I would pass it on for what it is worth.
yes they will cross polinate. I have all my sweet corn on one side of the yard and the ornamental in the back yard. Last year we planted it in the same garden and well...didn't work out too well.

I will keep you updated on the peanuts. My grandpa has tried to plant them before and has had a few grow...I am hoping to get a few since we love peanuts!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are trying peanuts this year also. I grew some YEARS ago...they produced for me quite well in that soil..am looking forward to seeing what happens this year!:idunno

Jennifer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Very impressive list of plants!

I live in St. Louis, MO and this heat has been awful for my plants, I believe. My green pepper plant is totally dead. :(

Sounds like you are having one good year though!

Latest posts