Scarlet Runner Bean - Amazing Color Bean

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I saw a couple of large pods on my Scarlet Runner bean vines. I picked them and opened one up and the beans look like this:

14801_104_2215.jpg

:ep

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They look like that when they are still young. Later in the season, as the shells dry a bit, they will develop the black stripes.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hm, I wonder if yours is maybe a different line or strain, because mine already have the black "pinto" type blotches on them at that size. Doesn't really matter, I've just never seen one like that before.

I think scarlet runners are *wonderful* shelling beans, although mostly I eat 'em as green beans; I'm not so fond of them as dried beans but they won't kill ya or anything.

The bean color fades to an ucky grey-mauve, sort of drier-lint color, when you cook 'em. Alas.

Have fun,

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its ok... they go from pretty to yummy in my book... that makes up for any ugly color they will turn. Mmmm.... good eats!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow i've never seen that .. i love them!! who wouldnt want to eat barbie beans ... ooo i need to grow these!
thanks for sharing a photo ..

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Hm, I wonder if yours is maybe a different line or strain, because mine already have the black "pinto" type blotches on them at that size. Doesn't really matter, I've just never seen one like that before.

I think scarlet runners are *wonderful* shelling beans, although mostly I eat 'em as green beans; I'm not so fond of them as dried beans but they won't kill ya or anything.

The bean color fades to an ucky grey-mauve, sort of drier-lint color, when you cook 'em. Alas.

Have fun,

Pat
I grow these every year in honor of a dear friend who was my mentor ...mine always are that pretty color when the pods are first full then mature to the pinto pattern

Latest posts