Scary stuff

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This story just broke today. Some special kind of bermuda grass has mutated and produced enough cyanide gas to kill 15 cows that had just been let onto the pasture. There's some debate as to whether the grass is GMO or an F1 hybrid (it's sterile, which leads me to believe that the genes have been meddled with in some way), but either way, it's scary stuff. Even scarier? It's about 2 hours away from me and only about 20 minutes from my mom's house

http://www.foodrenegade.com/mutated-gmo-grass-makes-cyanide-kills-cattle-2/

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, that's weird. What's the weather been like down there? Frost could cause some types of forage to produce cyanide...i dunno about bermuda grasses, but cant imagine you guys having a frost there this time of year?? In Montana sure :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonder if we'll see that on the national news? Probably not....could sort of point a finger at big advertisers.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That story is being blown out of proportion by media hype.
This is an old problem and every experienced rancher knows all about it. The usualy call it prusic acid poisoning. It's usually brought on by careless overaplication of high nitrogen chemical fertilizers which forces more new growth than the grass would normally produce. Experienced ranchers are suspicious of grass that looks too lush and get it tested before turning livestock into it. Any county ag station can perform the simple test.

Latest posts