Scientists Say Something Is Very Wrong With The Tomato

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The ones that get me are the plums. If you eat one form the store you can't understand why people bother. Totally tasteless. Frost plays havoc with me getting any plums because they bloom so early, but a good ripe plum, really ripe, is just something else. But when they are ripe you are not going to package and ship them in mass. There is no relationship between a truly ripe tree ripened plum and what they sell in the store.

Of course I could say the same type of thing about strawberries. Others have said it about tomatoes, I'm not going to argue.
I always see recipes for tarts using plums. The only plums you can use for that are store bought which are very firm. My homegrown ones are just too juicy where you're bending over to eat one so it doesn't get on your clothes. No way can I use them in a tart unless I choose green ones.

Mary

Titan Farm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It all falls back on supply and demand.
As long as there is a high demand then the quality is going to suffer.

I can remember one year I planted 300 "Delicious" tomatoes from at least 10 seed producers (big and small). The tomatoes differed from company to company and some even differed from plant to plant from the same company. All were missing the good tomato taste, texture and size of the Delicious tomato 10-20 years ago.

As for the supermarket tomatoes, there a loss cause.
There mass produced, picked at blush, stored months on end and bred to be a firmer/harder tomato. Supermarket tomatoes are also never truly ripe do to the fact that there picked at there blush stage and not aloud to ripen on the vine of a plant.
See once a tomato is picked it stops ripening, and will never have the sugars, acids over all taste and texture of a truly ripe tomato.

Latest posts