Scratching around . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My gardens are in multiple locations. That means, I have more neighbors than many people enjoy ;). I have been gardening at one location for over 15 years (the rental property of a gardening friend) and at another location for 7 years (the oversized vegetable garden of an empty nest gardening friend). It seems that I'm always "just over the fence" from someone.

The rental property is in a neighborhood with poor people. One of my perennial aggravations there are the aggressive dogs!

The other garden neighborhood is quite different - an "exurb" setting with small acreages and large homes. Actually, I've also been in that neighborhood for over 15 years but am now across the road from where I started. Those folks were elderly and sold their home.

Not long after I started hanging out in the neighborhood a building began to go up down the road. I now garden right beside it. At first, I thought it was a "plumbing shop" or some business like that. Certainly, there were no businesses around in this somewhat genteel neighborhood but I couldn't figure out why a 5 stall garage was being built with no residence on the property. Later, I learned that it was a retired guy's "work shop."

Yes, he lives about 5 miles away, on a lake. I've never been to his home but we enjoy talking over the fence and I have been over to his shop to see some project he has going. Or! Taking a tour of this retired guy's most recent camper/motorhome/recreational vehicle!

The other day we were talking about how a passenger rail line long ago passed by - one can still see where the tracks cut thru a small hill on the other side of the river :). I said that we should have that transportation option again and get some of the dang cars off the interstate! He nearly jumped straight up in the air
shocked.gif
! He told me what he is paying for property tax for his home on the lake, an incorporated part of the county.

abacus.gif

His home's value must be . . . well over $1 million! I mean, this is the Wild West where land, at least, is relatively cheap.

I guess I'd better be happy to scratch around next door to the shop. I haven't been able to even gain access to the tiny public area on the lake for the last 20 years without paying :/. That might leave me with the option of paddling around on an innertube for a visit to his dock.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like in some ways that lake is similar to my lake, and different in other ways. We have multiple uses here too. Some areas have free camping, some are pay per night camping, one area has cabins and a small seasonal store, another spot off the lake is a small store, 2 areas have vacation homes, my area is private camp sites, another area has homes. All in all, a wide mix of wealth come to this lake, from folks in old cars to the basically free campsite area, to a few extremely wealthy folks with bazillion dollar outfits. Most that come here are small business owners and mid to upper management folks. Course then, there are those only rarely seen far up in the hills...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only in some small ways are they similar, Marshall.

I stopped visiting that lake because of the fees for "parking." It wasn't just me - the public access & picnic area is tiny and doesn't need to be larger since so few people use it.

The lake is very nearly a private affair now even tho' many years ago it was a place that a nearby urban community used for recreation. They arrived - on the train.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Poor Folks" like us have no idea of the scope of the wealth that is out there, often well hidden for protection from the masses. I just saw a piece on the telly this morning about Monaco, being the only country where investors pay not one penny of taxes. No wonder so many super wealthy people invest there. The piece on TV said it was a "safe haven" for the super rich. I feel so sorry for a billionaire who feels they need a safe haven for their riches. I think it was Janis Joplin who made popular the phrase "Freedom's just another word for 'nothin left to lose'," so I guess there are lots and lots of us now who have achieved freedom. :/
Scratch away, Steve!

Latest posts