Season started.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
What other varieties grow well in a greenhouse. I want to try some in our greenhouse but not sure about variety or pollination situation.

PS nice looking outdoor tomatoes.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are any number of greenhouse varieties. Most large seed vendors have them listed separately on their sites. Often they are expensive, I paid almost a dollar a seed for Trust. They were good, but the Tropic are just as good and not at all expensive. The Tropic is not a hybrid, so you can save the seed. I bought a large package from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange several years ago and I have been saving the seed since. To pollinate them you just tap the truss when the flowers are fully open, like the bell of a trumpet. Tomatoes are wind pollinated, as are peppers, they don't need insects, they are self-fertile.

I look for indeterminate varieties and train them cordon style. If you are unfamiliar with cordon style tomatoes here is a link:

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, I have several questions. If you train them cordon style, does this mean you only get tomatoes at the top?

If my plants are already about 3 ft. tall, is it too late to train them cordon style? I've weaved them in and out of a trellis so I know it may be kind of tricky but I think I may be able to do it. I'm interested in seeing the difference by pruning them this way.

I could try it with just a couple plants.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, I have several questions. If you train them cordon style, does this mean you only get tomatoes at the top?

If my plants are already about 3 ft. tall, is it too late to train them cordon style? I've weaved them in and out of a trellis so I know it may be kind of tricky but I think I may be able to do it. I'm interested in seeing the difference by pruning them this way.

I could try it with just a couple plants.

Mary
Mary,
The fruits form at the base of the plant and continue up the vine to the top. I grow indeterminate varieties, however, I am not sure what type you are growing. Indeterminate varieties lend themselves better to cordon growing and greenhouse growing in general. Like you wrote: try it with a couple of plants.

jack

cordon.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow intermittent varieties also. For some reason I can't grow paste tomatoes. I've always felt if I prune in the cordon style that I would lose fruit but I guess that's not the case. I'll try it this weekend. Does it matter if they are already in bloom?

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grow intermittent varieties also. For some reason I can't grow paste tomatoes. I've always felt if I prune in the cordon style that I would lose fruit but I guess that's not the case. I'll try it this weekend. Does it matter if they are already in bloom?

Mary

If the blooms are on suckers I would remove them. Here is a link you might find useful.

https://bonnieplants.com/library/how-to-prune-tomatoes/

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
During nap time, I went out to see if I could prune one. I can't really tell which is the lead branch. The branches seem to all be growing sideways and up. I trimed a couple and then I chickened out! Baby tomatoes are already forming.

I think it may be too late for me to do this year. I'll have to try it next year. I always trim my bottom leaves but I didn't realize it should be 12-18". Learned something today.

Mary

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
During nap time, I went out to see if I could prune one. I can't really tell which is the lead branch. The branches seem to all be growing sideways and up. I trimed a couple and then I chickened out! Baby tomatoes are already forming.

I think it may be too late for me to do this year. I'll have to try it next year. I always trim my bottom leaves but I didn't realize it should be 12-18". Learned something today.

Mary

Removing the bottom leaves reduces the chance for blight also.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Even if they have put out a few large branches you can still prune. There is a video on YouTube about the Guinness World holder on the largest tomato and he lets them branch out more. His system is something like three main branches, then let them branch, and then once again if I remember right. Then pruning off the rest of the suckers. He also fed them weekly and a foliar spray of fertilizer. They grow like 40 feet high or something like that! According to them they get like 150 pounds of fruit off the plants.

Sorry I got off point. Yes, you can still prune the suckers, lol.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even if they have put out a few large branches you can still prune. There is a video on YouTube about the Guinness World holder on the largest tomato and he lets them branch out more. His system is something like three main branches, then let them branch, and then once again if I remember right. Then pruning off the rest of the suckers. He also fed them weekly and a foliar spray of fertilizer. They grow like 40 feet high or something like that! According to them they get like 150 pounds of fruit off the plants.

Sorry I got off point. Yes, you can still prune the suckers, lol.
The thing is the plants are now pretty big and woven in and out of the trellis. I know I can prune in small pieces and pull them out. The problem is it's a jungle out there! and I'm not really sure I can recognize or see a sucker.

I wish I had know about this method sooner. I had occasionally heard about but didn't really pay attention to it. I'm not necessarily interested in bigger fruits but I do like the idea of less foliage and a neater more compact plant. This way I can probably squeeze in another tomatoe and still have good circulation. I love the idea of being able to plant one more variety.

Mary