Seasonal Decor transitioning from fall to winter now ..

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
HiDelight said:
for those who enjoy the seasons and love to decorate accordingly here is our thread I guess Christmas lights and all please share ..in fact I was wondering about LED battery op lights how are they? do you use them? like them?
I just bought 2 strings of Phillips brand LED battery operated lights. So far, I'm pretty satisfied with them, although it's only been a few days. They seem to be a lot better made than battery powered lights in the past, although they do use 4 AA batteries for a 7' string. I'm hoping those batteries last a good long while. They were 6.99 a piece from Target.
thanks so much for the review!
I am going to try some I think I do have a battery charger

I was going to wrap the logs in the fireplace with them since we never really get cold enough to warrant a fire and I do have a gas fireplace but what a waste of energy that is the heat just goes up the chimney!

I thought I would just wrap my lucky birch logs (does anyone else put birch by the fireplace in the winter for luck or did my father just make that up?)

do you have out door winter traditions that include your gardens? I do try to have at least one or two gatherings of sorts that embrace the elements and help fend off the blues

one year I had a beach party in the middle of a rain and wind storm ..my husband hung lights under a blue tarp and then we set up a sand box and kiddy pool with all kinds of tropical drinks ..foods ..shells ..we lit the fire pit pretended it was a beach fire on an Island paradise put our bare feet in the sand box and kiddy pool! (we ignored the propane heaters and pretended it was th hot sun ..wore shorts and tank tops and looked like we should be locked up but folks still talk about the decorations ..I left them up all winter!

we usually have a solstice party .where we sing Christmas Carols and other winter holiday songs...each year with our with out friends we do ..burn a "yule" ...drink boozy glogg (and non boozy glogg) ..actually it is just a wood fire..supplemented with charcoal so the kids can toast marshmallows ... in our fire pit under a blue tarp (we make our own blue skies in Western WA!!!) then we wassail the fruit and nut trees and bushes ..we light a few fireworks and bang tambourines and other insturments to scare off evil and make for a good crop next year!!! VIP!
and honestly ..
can't hurt!

I refuse to let my garden linger in the winter ..I work too hard on this to let it only be at its best when everything is in bloom!

Next week I will get things in order and hopefully take pictures ..I look forward to seeing all your holiday photos or just photos of your winter garden

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our gang is saving fallen limbs, trimmings from the trees we had to cut-that we dont use for wood, and we will be building a huge bon fire at some point, may set up a tent or shelter, and bring in a crock pot of chili, etc..just will take it from there, probably will have music in the air for sure!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I regret using the term 'christmas' just kinda was raised that way... its on all the shopping signs everywhere... when it was probably more appropriate to have stated 'Holiday' or 'Season'. Good play Heidi.

Anyways... Glad to see people are spirited this time of year. No matter how bad things are, and how depressed (because whether I like it or not I am depressed... this year has brought little joy to our lives here), I NEED the season and the magic I feel it brings.

Amazing how a few hundred lights make me smile!!! :rainbow-sun

Anyways... I have finished putting up our tree and few other pieces of decor I want to share ASAP. We moved a lot of furniture to reconstruct our decor this weekend... didn't look right what I did on Friday, or I would have shared back then.

So I will return to add more joy! I would love to get the wee one posing but again, she's been given another evil bug.... just to add to the ick around here lately. :sick

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem, I think you should use whatever term you are comfortable with.

I once spent quite a bit of time around a hospital dialysis center. It seemed like there was always a cake showing up and people singing about something. I asked about it. "Oh, we celebrate just about everything here!" It made a lot of sense to me.

It is important to bring some celebration of life and times into our lives, especially for our young people. Looking forward is uplifting and I doubt that you'll feel down for long. Why, it wouldn't hardly be anything like you, Vfem!

Caring for a sick little one, takes a lot out of us. But, your family will all feel better from looking at a few hundred lights! I'm sure of it.

And, that "decor" - we will all look forward to seeing what you've been up to.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We took our 2 1/2 year old daughter to see the big light display at the park last night. She couldn't contain herself and begged to get out of the car, so instead of driving it, we got out and walked through it. It was really neat going across the bridges draped in lights and seeing the impact of them reflected on the lake. We also went and stood under and looked up through a large crabapple tree that was drenched in lights. Felt other-worldly and very magical.

I've seen the lights every year since they've been doing it, but to see it through a toddler's eyes is really something else! We decided we would just have to go at least once a week when we come into town. I'm bringing my video camera next time!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
We took our 2 1/2 year old daughter to see the big light display at the park last night. She couldn't contain herself and begged to get out of the car, so instead of driving it, we got out and walked through it. It was really neat going across the bridges draped in lights and seeing the impact of them reflected on the lake. We also went and stood under and looked up through a large crabapple tree that was drenched in lights. Felt other-worldly and very magical.

I've seen the lights every year since they've been doing it, but to see it through a toddler's eyes is really something else! We decided we would just have to go at least once a week when we come into town. I'm bringing my video camera next time!
That is wonderful!

This is what it all about to me!

Thank you for sharing that experience.

Just wonderful!

Joe

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
VFEM I am sorry ...There was NO intent of taking Christmas out of this thread you know :)

just think that being inclusive is important and that there is a big wide world out there that views this board

1 if you have a bah humbug make a thread for it do not kill a good one!
2 do not bash people who are bah humbuging!!! that is not fair ....things happen in folks lives there are "reasons" for folks being unhappy during this season ..it is not all joy for some folks and now that there are 4 dead police officers and the fact we are at war ..and no end in sight ... I am not feeling the season well myself right now ..

that is all I meant in starting a new thread ..to keep the decorations going and not exclude anyone :)

people should not be offended or deffensive of their values or beliefs ..just enjoy what you can and leave the rest to others

I was yelled at at work for saying Happy Holidays by a patient who noted "this is Christmas damn it!!!" well so it is :)

Merry Christmas!!!

me I want winter lights thanks!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, Merry Christmas or Happy Winter Solace or Joyous Season or Whatever you need it to be! :D

But none-the-less it makes me smile... a lot! :love

Here's us working on the front porch, just a few more things and the lights to go:
front_porch_decor1.jpg

front_porch_decor2.jpg

We finished the tree and then decided to move it and move a bunch of furniture too.

zoe_tree_help1.jpg

zoe_tree_help2.jpg

:rainbow-sun

Latest posts