Second crop

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I replaced the cucumbers in the greenhouse with new plants. The first planting has been producing for some time now, and I find as as the plants age they lose some of their vigor. (sound familiar?) I also potted replacement tomato plants for a late season crop for the same reason. The cucumbers were started from seed on June 14, 2012, and cuttings were taken from the greenhouse plants and cloned on the same date. Both the seeds and cuttings were grown indoors under LED lighting and today is the first time they have been outdoors.

In the interim, the garden is producing plenty of cucumbers to keep us supplied until the replacement plants begin producing. ;)

secondstring.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack sounds like you should be our expert on succssion planting! I'm still working on that with my lettuce!

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you use for greenhouse pests?
jackb said:
Today I replaced the cucumbers in the greenhouse with new plants. The first planting has been producing for some time now, and I find as as the plants age they lose some of their vigor. (sound familiar?) I also potted replacement tomato plants for a late season crop for the same reason. The cucumbers were started from seed on June 14, 2012, and cuttings were taken from the greenhouse plants and cloned on the same date. Both the seeds and cuttings were grown indoors under LED lighting and today is the first time they have been outdoors.

In the interim, the garden is producing plenty of cucumbers to keep us supplied until the replacement plants begin producing. ;)

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/secondstring.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, I really don't have a big problem with pests, as there is no soil in the greenhouse. Pests, like spider mites, don't seem to bother with the tomatoes, cucumbers and flowers. I would only use insecticidal soap, if I did see a pest. I do use a product from Agway called Total Pest Control, I think. I do not spray the plants though, only the floor and perimeter of the greenhouse, inside and out. On occasion, I find a dead insect on the floor, but honestly I never seem to find any bugs on the plants. Thank goodness. ;)