Seed Catalogues

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like non-GMO seeds, and I've shopped at Seeds of Change, R.H. Shumway, and Kitchen Garden Seeds (my personal fave - the illustrations are lovely, and the seeds are good, too!). When I get a new catalog in the mail, I check it out on the Garden Watchdog: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/. People post their experiences with mail order gardening companies, both seeds & plants.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I means non-genetically modified, essentially that scientists haven't spliced other genes into it. Less fooled-around-with. A lot of people worry about what kind of effect that will have on them if they eat genetically modified foods. I just like things in their more natural state. I'm FAR from the expert on this, so maybe someone else has more knowledge to share.

:bee I just discovered all the smileys - too cute!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I use Henry Fields and Gurney. I also get some locally(when I forget to order or here something new).

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like Seed Savers Exchage & Johnny's and Bountiful Gardens. I have also ordered from Parks and Burpees, even though they are a bit pricier.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I means non-genetically modified, essentially that scientists haven't spliced other genes into it. Less fooled-around-with. A lot of people worry about what kind of effect that will have on them if they eat genetically modified foods. I just like things in their more natural state. I'm FAR from the expert on this, so maybe someone else has more knowledge to share.

:bee I just discovered all the smileys - too cute!
Yes, GMO = Genetically Modified Organism.

There's no planting of GMO seed here, we were the first county in the nation to outlaw it.

You're mostly correct. People worry about the effect it has on them, but also what effect it has on the environment, and other non-gmo crops.

Aren't the emoticons cute? :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you said I could only have one, I'd choose Bountiful Gardens, but there are lots of resources out there. :)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
There's no planting of GMO seed here, we were the first county in the nation to outlaw it.

You're mostly correct. People worry about the effect it has on them, but also what effect it has on the environment, and other non-gmo crops.
Really? I thought that that's what Monsanto & the other big chem companies were all about GMO seeds. Some of the catalogs I order from make a point to state that they use non-GMO seeds. Why would they bother if no one can?

Man, I just started posting here the other day. Can't believe it took me so long to find this site! :tools

Latest posts