Seed Potato eyes

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a few potatoes that i left to get eyes and sprout when i noticed the tip of the 1/2" long sprout looks like it dried out, there's a black tip on the top of it, instead of being the green growing point. If the growing point of the eye has died back will new eyes from that one eye grow?

Thanks!! ;)

Nyappy Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm not so sure on this but the potatoes we planted looked like they died, but i think the last few times i tried they "died" but then grew but i don't remember that well lol

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can even break the eyes out of the potato, for instance, if they've grown into shoots that are difficult to handle. New eyes will break and begin to grow.

I would prefer if the seed pieces are sprouted and growing but, really, they go in the ground when I think it is the time to plant them.

I'd also prefer if the cut pieces could do some healing before planting but, once again, I'm not usually able to allow for the time that.

In they go.

Steve

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are the spuds that you left to get eyes the commercially grown supermarket type? I believe the majority of these are treated with something that is supposed to prevent them from sprouting. This is to give them longer life as a food product. These may be pretty hard to use as good producing seed potato's.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The "Food Industry" not only gas the spuds in storage but the growing plants are sprayed in the field with a chemical to retard sprouting after harvest.

:somad

Steve

:tools

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
Are the spuds that you left to get eyes the commercially grown supermarket type? I believe the majority of these are treated with something that is supposed to prevent them from sprouting. This is to give them longer life as a food product. These may be pretty hard to use as good producing seed potato's.
I bought the seed potatoes from a fruit store, the potatoes were starting to sprout at the store, i dont think they were sprayed.

Latest posts