seed potatoes in 5 gal bucket

Gonzo & The Peeps

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm wanting to start some seed potatoes in a 5 gal bucket... how many should I put in there, and how deep should I plant them... I don't want to mess this up, I'll never hear the end of it if I do... :idunno

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish I could help. I planted some in buckets a couple weeks ago and have yet to see a sprout :( .

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never grown container potatoes. This link should help.

http://containergardening.about.com/od/vegetablesandherbs/ss/ContainerPotatoes.htm

In a bucket I'd make sure you have plenty of good drainage. It would be impossible for me to kep the moisture content right without good drainage, then I'd worry about it drying out. I think keeping them moist without keeping them wet will be your biggest challenge.

The potatoes form above the seed potato, so you will want room above the seed potato for the potatoes to form. The author's method of hilling up accomplishes that.

I don't know how big your "5 gallon" bucket actually is. The size should be written on the bottom. Most of the bigger buckets I get at the local grocery store deli are 15 or 16 liters, about 4 to 4.1 U.S.gallons. Anyway, in mine I'd probably plant one seed potato. I just don't think there would be enough room for any more to do you any good. As I said, I have not done it so maybe someone with experience can tell you what worked for them. Or, if no one else can help, plant one seed potato in one bucket, two in another, and compare the results. In a few months, you become the expert.

:watering Good luck!!! :watering

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I hope you got my PM and it helped! Its just what I do, and apparently I've got a few people at the plant nursery up the road doing it now. Somehow, they stumbled across my blog! LOL :lol:

Latest posts