Seed propogation method?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im seeking a reliable, low cost method for starting seeds. Something that uses common or recycled materials, and not special store bought contrivances.

What do you use?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Soda bottles, and apple juice bottles as containers. They the toilet paper rolls with seed starting mix. Hope this helps.

ETA: It doesn't always work. But that may be a result of user error.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Soda bottles, and apple juice bottles as containers. They the toilet paper rolls with seed starting mix. Hope this helps.

ETA: It doesn't always work. But that may be a result of user error.
Yeah, Im kinda heading that way. Im collecting paper and styro cups cups of all kinds right now.
I've been experimenting alot this season, using peat pots and the Jiffy discs, but they seem to just not go the distance.

I think my biggest problem is that I have been overwatering. I keep the seed starts in a tray where the water collects so they get soggy, even waterlogged. Im afraid that they'll dry out if I dont, so I've overdone. But in watching some professional greenhouse folks, I see they dont do that - everything is allowed to drain out.

I also tried vermiculite-as-sprouting-medium, but that too seems to have fallen flat. The stuff doesnt seem to work on its own as I had thought it might. So I'll og back to my usual seed starting medium of peat, sifted soil, sand and and vermiculite. To this I add a sprinkling of granular fertilizer.

I've also learned that keeping the starts in a covered frame during the summer months is TOO hot and the algae soon takes over. Coupled wit the soggy pots, it just doesnt work out. In the late spring it's probably a good thing (minus the waterlogging). In the South Carolina summer, I'll just keep them in a sheltered spot.

But I like your paper cup/ soda bottle/ toilet roll ideas. It's a great start.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use whatever i can get my hands on...egg cartons, plastic containers, aluminum trays like the ones for making lasagna, heck even empty eggshells :lol:
Theirs even a product that makes newspapaer pots like peat pot only with newspaper, a good use other than disposing of it.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
I use whatever i can get my hands on...egg cartons, plastic containers, aluminum trays like the ones for making lasagna, heck even empty eggshells :lol:
Theirs even a product that makes newspapaer pots like peat pot only with newspaper, a good use other than disposing of it.
Ive made my own from newsprint and it works, after a fashion. I'd have a whole new hobby making them, though... I'm always stickin some seed or another in the dirt to see what happens.

I believe Im going to focus on cups, like what you get from fast food joints. Also regular foam or paper drinking cups.

The Soil Blockers look pretty cool, although not for the frugal (and they are out of stock...)

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A lot of times I will sprout seeds (usually tomatoes) in a flat tray filled with potting soil. Once they come up , I carefully ( with a spoon) lift the strongest ones and put them in styrofoam cups with a drain hole poked in the bottom. I prefer this over putting one seed in each cup because I never seem to get 100% germination. I don't think it would work for everything because some plants don't like to be disturbed. I think the proper terminology is "pricking out seedlings". Good luck!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Davaroo sounds like you have had the problem of damping off. Try adding some gravel to line the bottom of the trays you have under your seedling cups or containers. If you have a small fan then have it on low circulate air in the area where your seedlings are. It doesn't have to blow directly on them, just around them will help. Greenhouses fight with this problem all the time. Yes it is caused by over watering but also by not having air circulating. This is one of the reasons you find the tables or benches in greenhouse are mesh or slat tops. I hope that helps

:happy_flower Karan :D

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not that it is 100% reliable, but I use those 6 or 7 ounce yogurt cups. I fill a tray with the starting mix, cut the bottom out of the plastic cups and fill them with the mix. Some things I put enough seeds so I can separate the plants when I plant them (tomatoes work) and some I put an extra seed or two but plan on thinning after they are transplanted. I snuggle the cups down into the soil in the tray a bit, maybe 1/2" to 1".

I usually water by wetting the soil in the big tray, not the cups. If you do water in the cups it seems to drain better. I tend to get the soil too wet so the extra drainage helps. The roots will grow out the bottom of the cup and into the soil in the tray. I mark varieties, etc on the cup with a sharpie.

I also built a heat box to put under the tray to warm the soil. I shoot for the low 70's.

Other than the commercial starting mix, everything is on hand, even the heat pad for the heating box.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of all the things I have used (egg cartons, yogurts, cups, etc.) every year I have the best luck with quart size cardboard milk containers. I just cut them in half,make a few drain holes, fill with dirt and grow! They are sturdy, yet easy to remove for transplanting, they do not dry out too fast. I found the peat pots did not hold water at all. I use these in my cold frames, too- they really work. I start saving them mid-winter and have just about enough for spring...Happy growing!!!

Latest posts