seed rooling down our hill (our lawn)

rossafini

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is a story of planting grass in our yard.

One day we decide to plant grass in our front yard. we throw the seed down...we throw straw on it... and when it comes time to water it... all the seed washes down down down the hill:barnie Is there any way to keep it from doing that??

Thanks in advance,

:woot rossafini :woot

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thoroughly dampen the soil (the top several inches) first. Then sow seeds. Rake in very lightly if necessary. Mulch with straw. Then when you water, water only with a very fine gentle mist/spray, and never so much that the water runs off. This may require more-frequent waterings. Don't let the top of the soil dry out, or it will not re-wet all that well and your seed will again be in danger of washout.

Sod is easier if it's a really significant hillside ;)

Good luck,

Pat

Baymen Moe

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Raking it in is great, then if you can, go over the soil with a weighted roller, pressing the seed down and firming the soil.

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In the past I have used old OLD Burlap cloth and laid it over freshly seeded soil ...it helps to keep the birds off it and when you gentley water it it keeps the moisture on the seedlings also....you have to secure the edges with rocks or stakes....the grass grows through the holes....

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Will sod stay in place? We have a walk out ranch and the slope drops 10ft over a 30 ft span. I was worried it might not stay in place. Don't really have the money to do a terrace with retaining walls right now.

2468Gardeningisgr8

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have heard if you stake the sod in the top corners for a period of time the grass roots will have time to grow into the earth thats already prepared underneath ..water the sod really good......You have to be very careful to section off the area of sod that has been staked because you dont want someone to hurt themselves by tripping etc...

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks. I did a back yard in sod once and it turned out great It was flat though. Looked a lot better than the front yard that the developer laid. Had all sorts of spots that wouldn't green because it was clay underneath with no soil prep.

Latest posts