Seed Starting Soil

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What do you use to start your seeds in? Composted soil, store bought or the small pellets that expand. I am getting ideas for next year.

Thanks

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use commercial seed starting mix or commercial cheapie potting soil that has no fertilizer added (check the bag - most good brands *do* add some fertilizer, and that can mess up seedlings).

I've had inconsistant and generally poor results from Real Soil or homemade mixes, although if buying commercial starting medium was not an option certainly I'd make do.

I don't like jiffy pellets. I know other people do. I don't <shrug> :p

Have fun,

Pat

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment on fertilizer in the potting soil. I've already learned something today.

I have also had poor luck with homemade blends. I just can't get the water retention right, usually too much but occasionally too little.

andehens

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've been using the jiffy pellets this year, and everything seems to come up and grow ok, but what I am noticing is when I set them out, if soil is too dry and I water I have a couple that pop out of the ground when the medium swells. This out of four 72 pellet trays though. (not all at once!!) Overall they have been easy, but I am going to try the potting soil and peat pots next just for fun.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use Jiffy's organic seed starting mix. I really like it... it holds moisture well.

The trick is to wet the soil first so its all moist and sponge like before you put it in pots and plant the seeds.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know that I'm supposed to use starting mix but I use Black Gold potting soil, every year. The organic has been the choice.

I once bought what I think was called Daisy Mix. The closest hardware store had it and maybe I liked the picture on the bags :rolleyes:.

That stuff almost ruined my entire season!!

So I guess my advice is, "Find something that works and stay with it!"

I make a potting mix with compost, aged manure, peat moss, and soil run thru a screen. But, that is for established plants (mostly perennials) - NOT for seed starting. (Saves me some $$ ;))

Steve

Latest posts