Seed starting ***Update on Page 2***

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Because they were so small, but long I was afraid to take them out of the little starter tray which is 1 or 1 1/2 inches. I just cut them apart and dropped the whole thing in a bigger 3 inch pot and put more starter soil. Next year I'm planting them in the plastic tiny seed trays and then putting them in the 3 inch pots. That way I can drop them way down. I need to add more soil to these as the soil is wet now and tamped down. Thanks chris!!!!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update:

I let them stay out side for most of the day Sunday and re-potted the zucchinis as they were getting really big.

6832_tylerbday_006.jpg

My peas are coming up!!!

6832_tylerbday_008.jpg

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are some suggestions I have for your little babies.

1. You said you often had die off upon hardening off, you might want to try going real slow. I harden off by putting out plants for 1 hr in the evening after work, then 2 hours the next day, 3 hours the day after that, then 4 hours in the evening for about a week, then during the work day for another week in shade, before a few days in full sun prior to being put in the ground.

Granted, I am in a much cooler area than you are, and the hardening process can take a whole month as the plants don't do much growth while hardening outside and freezing temps can delay planting out. During hardening times, if temps are below 34, tomato starts only get to harden for 2 hours before bringing them back in too, so that can prolong the process. If it's the 35-45 range, they are out full time as planned.

2. It looks like your plants are really leggy. I would try and give them more lighting with your grow lights in addition to the window. When I do zucchinis, their first few leaves around the cotyledons are probably 2-3 inches long from center to leaf tip and sit squat in the pot.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's what I call it, Leggy. So I need to put a light in addition to the sunny window? Or retry. Really it's only been 3 weeks and look at them. :/

No direct sun on the porch rail, all indirect.

Also, the zucchini's have little flower buds on them. I know I'm doing something REALLY wrong. :rolleyes: I just don't know what.

It was 80 degrees yesterday and 78 Saturday. I don't know if I started early or late. :lol:

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, you're real hot there... to our standards, you started late! LOL

That heat with your light might be the issue. Indoor temps when I start tomato seeds run around 68, and outdoor temps are in the 30-40's... With that high summer heat as I call it, that you have there now, you probably need to start the seeds in real bright direct sunlight if you don't want them to stretch or can't find a cold spot to grow them. At your heat... not sure your night temps, but you could probably plant straight out into the garden.

These are 4-5 weeks old (1 month mark) tomato starts.
4874_img_3676.jpg

I keep lights 1 inch above leaves and move it up when they start to touch. Temps inside the apartment are about 65-68 and they have light 16 hours a day on a timer. I am starting to harden them off now but will not be planting them out for another few months. Once they are put through hardening and then go out full time into 40-50F day temps, they grow almost at a crawl so a few months in cups isn't a problem.

I think your plants might be flowering because they are either stressed due to being root bound, heat, or under a lack of nutrients in the soil.

Our zone 7b's are totally different. LOL

sheaviance1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I just want to chime in with a tip I learned last year (my only successful year with starting anything and having it live once in the garden). I put two small fans blowing on my seedlings to strengthen their stems. I positioned the fans so that they were receiving airflow from both directions. I had absolutely no legginess, some of the starts had really nice thick stems. I didn't harden them off in the traditional manner. I put them under a trampoline for a couple of days, but then lucked up with some seriously cloudy weather that hung around for about a week with light rain. I planted them in the evening and wished them good luck. They did wonderful!