Seeding tomatos & peppers what to do?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are going to seed some flats of tomatos and peppers, have some ?s. Do they need light before they germinate or not? We have 2 of those clear plastic covers that fit on the flats, the others we were just going to use plastic wrap. I am going to build a plant starting stand tommorow so we can use shop lights for growing.also we have seed starting soil I heard someone mention just opening the bag and adding water to it until desired moisture levels are met? We are planting way more than we need to make sure we have enough for us, the rest we will share with freinds and family.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are all set, Collector!

You can mix your starting mix in the bag with water or put what you need in a bucket, add water and stir, stir, stir. I like to put the soil in the flat and then set the flat in a basin of water and after a couple of hours, it can go somewhere to drain. That is how I'll water the seedlings later, anyway.

After my starting mix is good and damp, I sprinkle the seed on the wet soil, then sprinkle more soil on top.

Peppers and tomatoes don't need light to sprout. They benefit from about 70F. Don't neglect the warmth or you will be waiting forever for those peppers, ♪ especially ♪.

The clear domes work well and plastic wrap should be okay but there may be little "head room."

As soon as those seedlings emerge -- they need light! Otherwise, they will s t r e t c h looking for it!!

Here's Wishing You the Best of Luck :)!

Steve

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I will try to help you out buy explaining to how I plant mine.
First - In a tub I thoroughly moisten the seed starting mix that is going to be used.
Second - Fill the flats and slightly pack the soil in the flats so that there are no air pockets.
Third - Sow seed and slightly spray (water) flats just enough to moisten the seeds.
Fourth - Lightly cover seeds with seed starting mix.

Try to keep soil temperature as close to 70/75 as possible and try not to let soil to dry out.
Light is not necessary until seedlings break ground also when seedlings break ground you can drop soil temperature to around 65.

Chris

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I used the soul watering method that you and chris09 are using. It seemed a little cold so I just brought the flats inside to a warm spot and we will plant them first thing in the am. Maybe I will contrive something to give the flats with plastic wrap a little more head room.
Thank you for the tips, we are hoping to get plenty of usable plants this way.

Chis09, We used the mixing the water and soil in the bucket method it worked well. We filled the flats with soil and then I smacked them down on the workbench a couple times to settle the soil then scraped the excess off we just took thm inside for the night to warm the soil before planting.
Thank you for theresponce it helps alot.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got the flats planted this AM,
tomatos
1flat of rutgers
3/4 flat of romas
1/4 flat of sweet baby girl

peppers
1 flat of california wonder
3/4 flat of sweet banana
1/4 flat of cayenne

Hoping for good luck with the germination.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, if I may be so bold . . .

Put special emphasis on your Sweet Banana - consider your Cal Wonder as somewhat experimental. It has been a long, long time since I've tried to grow Cal Wonder, unsuccessfully. Our part of the world doesn't quite have the days required for much maturity and the cold nights are taxing on any pepper. Sweet Banana should be able to do it for ya, tho'! I have found them to be very productive and a real nice sweet pepper!

I haven't grown the other 2 (not even the Roma . . . don't do sauce tomatoes ;)) but Sweet Baby Girls are a delight! You can reduce the spacing on those babies, even use in containers. They are fairly small plants so don't allow the others to grow over and crowd them.

Steve :)

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can make a tent with that plastic wrap. Use pencils or popsicle sticks to make the "tent poles" to give head room.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Collector, if I may be so bold . . .

Put special emphasis on your Sweet Banana - consider your Cal Wonder as somewhat experimental. It has been a long, long time since I've tried to grow Cal Wonder, unsuccessfully. Our part of the world doesn't quite have the days required for much maturity and the cold nights are taxing on any pepper. Sweet Banana should be able to do it for ya, tho'! I have found them to be very productive and a real nice sweet pepper!

I haven't grown the other 2 (not even the Roma . . . don't do sauce tomatoes ;)) but Sweet Baby Girls are a delight! You can reduce the spacing on those babies, even use in containers. They are fairly small plants so don't allow the others to grow over and crowd them.

Steve :)
I am hoping for the best with the cal wonders. We like stuffed bell peppers so we wanted to grow some. I hope they work out allright.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rozzie said:
You can make a tent with that plastic wrap. Use pencils or popsicle sticks to make the "tent poles" to give head room.
We tented it with small sticks it seems to be working good. We are now going to have to wait to see if anything sprouts.

Latest posts