Seedling Heat Mat Recommendations

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know if true but was once told top of fridge same as heat mat

Warm air rises. You often have heat in a kitchen from cooking. Anything high in the kitchen is probably warmer than a spot down low. The refrigerator itself generates heat but that probably doesn't help much as the motor is usually down low.

I started sweet potato slips on top of a high bookcase in the office as it was pretty warm up high in there and sweet potatoes like it warm. Not much room for a grow light up there though.

DSCF2672.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The top of the fridge has SOME heat, but you really need to check it. If you keep your house really cool and live in a cold climate, the top of your fridge may only be warm enough for cool weather vegetables.
Really, there is a LOT of babysitting that goes into starting seeds. It is almost an every day checking on them thing. I like a mister, which doubles as a "kitten corrector" outside of seed starting.
I have also heard from many plant experts that we too often OVERwater our starts and that they can benefit from a Little bit of too dry.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't know if true but was once told top of fridge same as heat mat
That's where all my early seeds are started.

The kitchen is the warmest room in the house during late winter. Admittedly, my old fridge did a better job of heating the top. That was because the coils were in the back rather than below the fridge. Heat was just going up the wall and against the cabinet, 5" above the top. The heat still does that but also spills out from the bottom to all sides.

Still, it stays 70 °, overnight.

The room with the big South window is the coolest room. It has the table for the seedlings, however, and that is where they go after they emerge from the starting mix.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine is a Seedz propagation mat. I've only used it one season so far so can't attest to the durability. It's going for $99 on Amazon, but I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that much. I looked at it and it's actually bigger than I thought - 20"x48".

Latest posts