Several unidentified perrenials - *pics*

1ElvisFan

Sprout
Reaction score
There are several I *think* I know what they are but other I'm clueless, hoping someone here can help, I planted some of them last year but for the life of me I can't remember what I have :(

Plant #1, I don't recall even planting this, it pretty though, quite tall with just the one bud, it bloomed over the last week, I never even noticed a bud forming, so it develops fast, it's a lovely purple.

Just the bloom

Plant #2, not a clue what this might be, any ideas?

Plant #3, this looks like a Hosta with the white edge on the leaf, but it looks more like a vine type plant with the thin stem

Plant #4
has rough feeling leaves, again, I *know* I planted them but can't figure out what they are.

Plant #4 again

I'm 99.999% sure this is a Hardy Geranium, I got them from Kritter and they are the only geraniums I can stand, am I right on what this happy little flower is?

Plant #5, this one has, if you look close, red on the stems near each leaf sprout, but I don't see this feature in any of the plants I know I planted.

I think this is Bee Balm, can anyone confirm?

Plant #6, within a large group of Daylillies there is suddenly some yellow flower that was never there before, I have posted a picture of the blood and the rest of the buds ready to bloom among the daylillies, is it another form of lily?

Plant 6 blooms

OK, finally, here is the list of what I planted last year, it might help in identifying some of these...
Bee Balm
Phlox
Obedient Plant
(I think this is plant number 3)
Lily of the Valley
Yellow Loosestrife (These are in different beds altogether and they are all blooming, but it looks like one of these unidentified plants might be loosestrife)
Hardy Geraniums

Lastly, I planted a bunch of Hens and Chicks which typically live to be neglected, and only ONE of the 5 I planted came back. They did very well last year, this year, they all seem to have died off, how can this be, is it something i may have done, on NOT done?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG, *small* non-bandwidth-intensive pics --- THANK YOU THANK YOU! (I am on slow dialup) :p

#1 is Campanula glomerata, clustered bellflower. It is a nice plant (well, I like it anyhow, and I am not really a bellflower kinda person) but will spread thru your garden if you are not attentive.

#2, are you sure it is not volunteers of a wild blackberry/raspberry/etc type thing? Are the stems thorny?

#3 looks to me like a variegated Vinca. Although there are variegated obedience plants, this is not obedience plant.

#4 could be monarda (bee balm) although the leaves are rather broad so I'm not certain. (I have no beebalm of my own to compare it to, as despite living in kind of a swamp I have killed FOUR DIFFERENT beebalm plants and have now given up on it :p)

Plant #4-and-a-half (<g> - it is between 4 and 5) is indeed a prennial geranium. Cute one, too.

#5 reminds me somewhat of astilbe foliage, but as I don't have any myself, I am not super familiar with it and could easily be wrong.

Plant #5-and-a-half (between 5 and 6) may be beebalm? The leaves do not look right to me for obedience plant - mine all have much more regular, pronounced toothed edges. And phlox and yellow loosestrife both have smooth leaf edges AFAIK.

#6 is a yellow daylily (could be Stella D'Oro, or something of that ilk) amongst a group of red lilies (not daylilies -- actual bulbous lilies. Pretty :))

Chances are that your hens-and-chicks were too damp/wet over the winter. They need an EXTREMELY free-draining site, as in gravelly or between stones in a drystone wall. Otherwise they are inclined to rot. Another possibility (less likely) is that yours was a single rather unhappy rosette that flowered and died without producing successful offsets. (They do that - the big rosette flowers rather hideously then dies away, but generally leaves a clutch of baby rosettes, the 'chicks', around it to carry on the family name).

Hopefully others will correct mistakes and fill in the gaps :)

Thanks for the fun diversion :)

Pat

1ElvisFan

Sprout
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
#1 is Campanula glomerata, clustered bellflower. It is a nice plant (well, I like it anyhow, and I am not really a bellflower kinda person) but will spread thru your garden if you are not attentive.

#2, are you sure it is not volunteers of a wild blackberry/raspberry/etc type thing? Are the stems thorny?

The stems are not thorny... for now, they are very small plants, only about 3" tall at the moment, it looks like thorns *could* emerge as there are small white dots on the stems. I'm sure they are not berry bushes though, at least I think I am since we have NO berry bushes anywhere on our lot.

#3 looks to me like a variegated Vinca. Although there are variegated obedience plants, this is not obedience plant.

Looking up the Vinca plant you mentioned it sure looks like thats what it is. I don't know how it got there since I didn't plant any of those. The Obedience Plants are in a different bed so I'm fairly sure these are not Obedience plants.

#4 could be monarda (bee balm) although the leaves are rather broad so I'm not certain. (I have no beebalm of my own to compare it to, as despite living in kind of a swamp I have killed FOUR DIFFERENT beebalm plants and have now given up on it :p)

You think this is Bee Balm also? I only planted ONE Bee Balm and that is about a foot away from this plant and they look totally different. But since I know almost nothing about them, I'll wait for it to bloom and see what it turns into

Plant #4-and-a-half (<g> - it is between 4 and 5) is indeed a prennial geranium. Cute one, too.

It *is* pretty cute, aint it? :)

#5 reminds me somewhat of astilbe foliage, but as I don't have any myself, I am not super familiar with it and could easily be wrong.

OMG!!! IF that really IS Astilbe I'd be thrilled to death!!! I WANT those pretty floofy flowers and I THINK I planted a few last year in another bed but they died so I didn't hold out any hope for regrowth.

Plant #5-and-a-half (between 5 and 6) may be beebalm? The leaves do not look right to me for obedience plant - mine all have much more regular, pronounced toothed edges. And phlox and yellow loosestrife both have smooth leaf edges AFAIK.

#6 is a yellow daylily (could be Stella D'Oro, or something of that ilk) amongst a group of red lilies (not daylilies -- actual bulbous lilies. Pretty :))

Thanks, I'll add a couple shots below of the Lily bed, they look pretty spectacular this year.

Chances are that your hens-and-chicks were too damp/wet over the winter. They need an EXTREMELY free-draining site, as in gravelly or between stones in a drystone wall. Otherwise they are inclined to rot. Another possibility (less likely) is that yours was a single rather unhappy rosette that flowered and died without producing successful offsets. (They do that - the big rosette flowers rather hideously then dies away, but generally leaves a clutch of baby rosettes, the 'chicks', around it to carry on the family name).

Below I have posted pics of all the beds, I have labeled the ones that the Hens and Chicks in, they are planted in what *should* be the perfect conditions...

Hopefully others will correct mistakes and fill in the gaps :)

Thanks for the fun diversion :)

Pat
Pics from the Lily bed

Pics of most of the beds, including the Hens and Chicks beds:

This is one of the H&C beds, surrounded by stone and very well drained, we are in Indiana and most of our soil is very sandy and very well drained.

These are the beds with the Bell flowers and Varigated Vinca:

A different view of the same bed:

Another H&C bed

Various shots around the yard...

1ElvisFan

Sprout
Reaction score
simple life said:
The plant between 5 and 6- did you ever plant stargazer lilies? Its hard to tell at that angle but it looks like stargazer to me.
I've heard of Stargazer Lillies but never planted them so how they got here I don't know... it looks nice among the red/orange ones though. I thought they were daylillies all this time.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The red lilies are the possibly Stargazers (a group of lily cultivars); the yellowish one, which I understood to be the mystery one?, is definitely a daylily. If you did not plant it, I would betcha there was a small bit of root in that site from before you began your garden redesign that has taken a few yrs to get big/healthy enough to flower.

Nice gardens :)

Pat

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can't help you, but that purple flower is really pretty :)

Ooh but I think the yellow flower mixed in with your lilies, is also a lily.

1ElvisFan

Sprout
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The red lilies are the possibly Stargazers (a group of lily cultivars); the yellowish one, which I understood to be the mystery one?, is definitely a daylily. If you did not plant it, I would betcha there was a small bit of root in that site from before you began your garden redesign that has taken a few yrs to get big/healthy enough to flower.

Nice gardens :)

Pat
OK, guess I got confused on the lily deal, orange lilies (we call them ditch lilies) run rampant here, they are everywhere and no matter what you do you can't kill them, these are darker than the wild ones, but the yellow I've never seen anywhere, the blooms don't last long though, the pic I took yesterday is dead and dried up already :( but there are tons behind it ready to bloom. I'm thinking of transplanting some to new beds we have ready since they look pretty crowded where they are. They must reproduce quickly and efficiently!

ShellieESterling said:
I can't help you, but that purple flower is really pretty :)

Ooh but I think the yellow flower mixed in with your lilies, is also a lily.
Thanks, I like it too regardless of where it came from, I'd like to see more of them around the yard :)

Latest posts