Shoe Organizer

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planting herbs and fruits in shoe organizers.

I'm curious if this actually works for anyone for more than half a season. My guess is you would constantly be trying to keep the soil moist enough and if you solve that they'd suffer from nutrient deficiencies rather quickly since there's so little soil for hungry plants.

Anyone here give something like this a shot and live to tell the tale?

I've seen a guy near me plant in 2L bottles hanging on his fence. I haven't kept track of it works though, and I obviously don't know if he's out there feeding bat guano and chicken manure each week to them all.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see folks planting in those shallow rain gutters all the time and they seem to do well, but I'm guessing they are watering a lot to keep things growing in such shallow receptacles.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see folks planting in those shallow rain gutters all the time and they seem to do well, but I'm guessing they are watering a lot to keep things growing in such shallow receptacles.
We tried the rain gutters for 2 summer. FAIL. Not worth our time. Our garden is not near the house and water had to be carried to lot during drought spells. Those gutters needed water 2X a day in the worst heat. They did not get it. then in a heavy storm things would almost wash overboard. Only had lettuce in them anyway.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Old man on my street sells his extra tomato seedlings, they are planted in anything from ice cream containers to soup cans LOL

That doesn't surprise me. Sprouting doesn't take much, but getting a bountiful harvest does.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There was another person on here who did the rain gutter plantings and they weren't successful enough to get excited about.
I suppose if your space was so limited that you didn't have many options and you were dedicated enough to be babysitting them you could make it work. But it seems like a lot of hassle to me.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only place I could see this being a benefit would be the chicken coop/run if you had limited space and wanted to provide some greens, but it would still need a lot of watering and such. Same with the vertical pallet gardens....folks with little space in need of greens.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have little space. I still wouldn't resort to these. They may be good for seedlings but not for full grown plants. The amount of work is not worth the price. Rather go to the farmer's market. o_O

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Try a YouTube search for Willem Van Cotthem, bottle gardens, Sprig'.

We had a few potted plants for sale in the flower shop part of the greenhouse where I worked. The plants rotated in and out of the greenhouse - in for display and out for care.

In the greenhouse, the vines in small pots occupied the south wall of the packing shed in gutters. The gutters were attached with pvc pipe so water would trickle from top to bottom gutters. I think that there were 4 of them.

The system kept the potted vines going and it was a better environment than inside the building, under a few lights.

Steve