Short day onion variety recommendations?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a short day onion variety? I tried some random variety I bought from walmart 2 years ago and it didn't bulb well. The color of onion doesn't matter. I do like sweet onions tho but I won't be picky! I'm in zone 7 north alabama.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back when I was first starting to grow onions from seed, I ordered some Granex seed. This is the famous variety like what is grown in Vidalia Georgia.

Walla Walla was an easy choice for me since I live only about 200 miles north of that valley. I wanted something different ... oops!

It's a short-day and bulbed too soon. All my onions were little things - but tasty! I make sure that I don't order short-day varieties now but if that works for you, maybe Granex would be a good choice.

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Back when I was first starting to grow onions from seed, I ordered some Granex seed. This is the famous variety like what is grown in Vidalia Georgia.

Walla Walla was an easy choice for me since I live only about 200 miles north of that valley. I wanted something different ... oops!

It's a short-day and bulbed too soon. All my onions were little things - but tasty! I make sure that I don't order short-day varieties now but if that works for you, maybe Granex would be a good choice.

Steve
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Latest posts