should hyacinths....

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
i have about 20 hyacinths that i planted in the fall, but i'm noticing that they have not come up yet. I see my tulips and other bulbs to come up except the hyacinths, Should hyacinths have come up by now? I remember last year they were up already this time of the year, maybe since this winter has been a little colder its delayed them a bit.

Thanks!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never grown these, and don't know much about them... but I did find an informative link I want to share with you. This may help explain them better, and perhaps you can see why they are either late, or they failed to bloom this year.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-Fact/1000/1237.html

I'm sure like tulips they need good drainage! I have one bulb that sent up shoots, but I'm afraid isn't going to bloom well.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh thanks!;) for that link it was very informative. I just hope they start coming up soon. Yep just like tulips they need good drainage, that isnt a problem so much in my garden, but i think their just a little late this year. Yeah i have a few tulips that have leaves but i'm now noticing its just going to be just leaves no flowers, maybe the bulb is too immature.
You should try hyacinths though i remember last year i just had 3 hyacinths but boy did their fragrance perfume the yard, i cant imagine Spring or Easter time without them, their scent is pretty amazing. Give it a try, if you want i'll send you some hyacinth bulbs.

Thanks Again :)

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are in Alabama, momma pinks that have always been around our well house is up and blooming! Not Sure were you are, so Mine may not help you right!

6101_pink_h_216x160.jpg

This one was MArch 7th!

Got to find my camera and I will get on now!

GPN

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hi GPN,
i'm in NY, good picture.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine are just coming up and they are on the south side of the house, the bed is right tight to the house.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hi,
oh ok but your in a cooler zone than i'm in so mine should of already been up by now.
Trying to keep my fingers crossed.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm in 6a, and mine are peeking up. Of course, the siding guys have kinda squished them all, so I'm not sure what kind of flowers I'm going to get (not that I'm complaining, tho!) :D

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Im in Zone 9, from what I've been told. My Hy's are already dying off, the flowers anyways. They bloomed way before my tulips, they're just starting now.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I'm in 6a, and mine are peeking up. Of course, the siding guys have kinda squished them all, so I'm not sure what kind of flowers I'm going to get (not that I'm complaining, tho!) :D
Actually some good news, today while i was walking through my garden i decided to cultivate the soil a bit where my hyacinths are suppose to come up, and before you know i see 2 little green shoots :p . I guess their coming up now.
Thanks a lot guys for your replies, all it took was patience and they came up.

Latest posts