Should I be pinching back strawberry flowers?

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got a mess of established strawberry plants from a local gentleman here--new plants that came from his plants. Anyway, I've only had them in the raised bed here for about a week. They're in organic garden soil with pine mulch on top, and they're doing great.

These are Ozark Beauty strawberries. I'm in Zone 7 (or 7b, depending on who you ask). They are already flowering. Am I supposed to be pinching back the blooms right now, so that the plants will get bigger? Or do I let them go at this point?

How long is it from bloom to berry? I know that last year, when I was buying strawberries at the farmer's markets, I was getting their "end of season" crop in June. I have no idea what to expect from these little guys.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninjapoodles said:
I got a mess of established strawberry plants from a local gentleman here--new plants that came from his plants. Anyway, I've only had them in the raised bed here for about a week. They're in organic garden soil with pine mulch on top, and they're doing great.

These are Ozark Beauty strawberries. I'm in Zone 7 (or 7b, depending on who you ask). They are already flowering. Am I supposed to be pinching back the blooms right now, so that the plants will get bigger? Or do I let them go at this point?

How long is it from bloom to berry? I know that last year, when I was buying strawberries at the farmer's markets, I was getting their "end of season" crop in June. I have no idea what to expect from these little guys.
Going back to my last weeks gardening class ....the instructor said that strawberries always come with instructions to pinch of the blooms the first year and no one does it. lol He said if you pinch of 1/3 to 1/2 it will be fine.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read to do the pinching thing.... but with only a 3 year life span in my garden... why waste a WHOLE first year harvest to only get 2 of those 3 year harvests?!

I agree with Setter.... just pinch 1/2 of them off so they'll produce some this time around. It will just strengthen them enough for a great harvest next year!

Our local strawberry patch where you pick your own does June bearing variety. They plant in the fall and protect the crop... I've NEVER seen them out there removing early blooms. They force the best, biggest, earliest crop they can. Then after the last has been picked, the go out and rip up every strawberry they can and then you see tomatoes coming up everywhere. (Except where you see the watermelon and pumpkins started! LOL)

ninjapoodles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks--I'm pinching off just the very earliest blooms.

How long does it usually take from bloom to fruit?