Should I let the chickens in?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way you are going to do it your results will be all good. You will not get enough chicken fertilizer to do much either good or bad. The chickens will love something new.

Go for it.

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I plan on letting my ducks into my garden soon. I'll fence off my fall garden. I say let 'em in!

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Are there any plants that I need to worry about being toxic to the chickens and the ducks. Like tomato vines? I have a 2500 sq ft garden and 19 chickens and 4 ducks that I will be turning loose in the next 4 to 6 weeks. It was my plan to let them have the garden until the end of march when I start planting. Seem like a good plan?

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
davaroo said:
ams3651 said:
davaroo said:
Depends on how many chickens.
Ive been told that the problem with chicken manure is exposure to the air. The oxygen cause the manure to turn ugly, releasing ammonia nitrate. But, if you cover it with mulch or till it under right away, it doesn't cause the burn. SO you may look into that.
ammonia nitrate is the whole reason my dad fertilizes all his fields with chicken manure. Chicken manure is an excellent source and much cheaper than buying the fertilizer, which became more expensive and harder to get after Oklahoma City. He starts getting it in the fall and lets it sit on piles all winter till early spring when he spreads it. I just mix in some wood shavings in my garden, except for the corn which I allow to just sit because it likes more in the soil.
Agreed. But in it's raw, chicken poop form on green growing plants, it can be harsh - too harsh. Composted manure that sits around for a season before use 'taint the same thing. Ditto for manure that goes straight into the ground to 'sweeten.'

Leastways, that's what Ive been told.
maybe you can lend some insight to this problem. He did have to spread some fresh because he didnt get enough over the winter. And he had a problem with some soybeans not comming up so well. He thought it was a problem with the weed killer that was supposed to be compatible. Do you think the fresh manure could have been the problem? It was really wet but didnt bother the corn. Just a thought.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should not give them tomato vines (plants). They can have the tomatoes. I have given mine tomato leaves and they do not seem to have a problem- but the plants are said to be toxic to chickens. I would think anything else in your garden would be fine...

Latest posts