Should'a been gardening

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
As many of you know, I spent time at the hospital this past week.

It started with a sick DH. He spent Wednesday and Thursday throwing up. First time since we met in 1969. The result was an unhappy DH who felt ill, was a bit weak, and probably dehydrated when I left to get some blood work done for a routine DR. appointment this week.

When I got home we sat next to each other talking for over half an hour before he turned and asked me if the sore on his head needed a bandage. Sore! He had fallen against the edge of a door and had a HUGE knot on his head with dried blood all around it. I cleaned it up.

I was not really upset that he fell, but I was determined to watch closely for signs on concussion. We had a light meal at lunch. All at once he started shaking, had a vacant look, wouldn't answer me, and -- this was the real catalyst -- he tried to light a (imaginary) cigarette. DH hasn't smoked since he was in his twenties. . . some 55 years ago!

I told him we were going to the doctor. He could ride with me or ride in an ambulance, but we were going. DH is not an eager doctor visitor so I expected a bit of trouble here, but there was none. He got his coat and we rode into URGENT CARE.

There they took a CT scan and found a small bleed on his brain. They transported him via ambulance to Madison, WI where there was a neurological surgery department and watched him for further evidence of bleeding. I followed in the car. We spent Thursday and Friday morning in ICU with testing every hour. Friday afternoon, we were moved to a regular room on the neurology floor with a bit less intensive testing after his newest CT scan showed no sign of any further bleeding.

The injury certainly did effect his thinking and reasoning as well as his being able to answer doctors' questions. He couldn't understand why he was in the hospital or why he couldn't go home. He seemed like a 4 yr. old who didn't want to go to bed. I was afraid he would tear the IV out as he insisted I get his clothes and shoes so he could go home. I spent hours explaining and re-explaining what had happened and why we were there only to explain it again once he woke back up.

Then, after saying we could "probably go home" Saturday, we ended up staying until Sunday to be sure there was no delayed swelling in the brain. By this time, he was getting better and was able to understand why we had to stay.

Today we paid bills. I had him writing out the checks. He was constantly asking me the date; where the name went; if the amount went where he thought (it did); and what went on the next line. I had him finish the checks by signing them and I wrote out the check amount. His first few checks were nearly unreadable, but the checks were looking great by the time we finished. The doctors said he may have verbal and motor problems for several weeks, but I see a lot of improvement already.

He is quickly getting better and should be back to his usual self once the bleed starts dissolving and that small pressure is gone, but for me it certainly brought up the fragility of life. DH could easily have been gone before I got home. Could easily have insisted I not take him to the doctor and died from unseen complications.

I love that man! I intend that he'll be around for a long, long time yet. Thank GOD that he is okay! That's my "why I was gone" story and I'm sticking to it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a fright! I am glad to hear that is his quickly improving. Hang in there, both of you. :hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red, I started to say that I've been through something similar but I know that each of us have very unique experiences of our own with these sorts of things.

Imagine, him trying to light a cigarette with no cigarette and after all these years!? Well, I guess I can almost imagine that. It has been several decades since I quit smoking, all because DW was not going to put up with it . . . We need those interested parties helping look after us, and we, them. It strengthens our hold on this fragile life.

Take good care of yourself, too. You've been through a major trip & fall experience as well.

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Red, I hope he continues to improve and makes a full recovery quickly! Be sure to take care of you too! :hugs

Latest posts