Shredded copy paper?

Reaction score
Where I work creates at least one large trash bag of shredded copy paper a week. I wonder...can this paper be used in worm bins or compost piles? I'm fairly certain that the print on the shredded stuff is carbon based, and the paper itself seems to be the usual white copy paper. The only thing I can argue against using it is the bleaching of paper pulp in the paper making process.

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a worm bin that I use shredded paper in. Whenever I add a tray, I just use about 2" to lay on top of the food layer. I've done this since June and haven't seen any adverse affects. I don't see anything wrong with adding some of it to your compost pile, especially if it is going to set for a while.

Reaction score
Thanks:D...we have lots of plans to expand our gardening efforts. We have already broken ground on a new garden section and are moving quickly. I have an endless source of manure from the local sale barn and now three chickens that will be in a chicken tractor before the weekend is over. I intend to build a worm composting bin from plastic drums (probably next spring)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sounds great! I use thick layers of newspaper in my garden and it seems to compost right into the garden by the end of the season, no problem. Hope yours works for you as well :)