shredded irises--again

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My dog can't not shred my irises. Don't know what to do. Can't get rid of dog, miss my irises.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made an habenero sauce to keep deer from eating certain plants. Dried habenoros blended with water. I'm not convinced it is that effective on deer because of all the rain we get. However, my dog smelled it and started rolling in it. She loved the habenero sauce. This was about 4 hours after I applied it and no rain to weaken it.

I agree with aquarose. A fence should work. You could try training but I've found that training requires constant reinforcment.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I never agree with my dog about gardening either. I lay chicken wire around on the ground near things he damages regularly. Sometimes it keeps him away since he does not like the feel on his paws. I have also put tomato cages around things until they are big enough to handle more abuse.

Unfortunately, most of my pretty and fragile things are now in the front yard.

Good luck.

CityChook

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I miss my irises too. What my dog doesn't eat, and my kids don't pick, and the squirrels don't dig up, the chickens will surely finish off. le sigh.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
weird-my chickens don't bother my irises at all-I did however plant some Bishops weed too close and 3yrs later am regretting it big time-it's killed some of my iris.
I've bought a bunch of new iris from Brecks Holland last fall-they're coming up-I'd hate to lose them...

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
A cynic would say, try to TRAIN your dog to shred your irises. THAT should stop it.

LOL

Good luck,

Pat
:lol: too funny, yet makes a lot of sense.

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, until I can afford the fencing, I am trying the chicken wire idea, and it's working so far. :fl

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better I have to put a fence up at my 3 tiered, worked my butt off, really cool, pond raised bed. My ducks ate everything in there.... even the leaves off the strawberry plants.

I'm going to fence the little suckers out!!!!!!! :he

Latest posts